Upgrade advice or advice on what to do

Associate
Hi All, My system is as follows
NZXT switch 810 Hybrid tower gaming case
CPU: intel core I7-3930k 6 core 3.20ghz 12mb smart cache LGA2011
COOLING: Cyberpower advanced watercooling large kit 360m Rad, 750 res pump,reservoir
ROSA cpu block Hign CFM fans
MB: Asus P9X79 Pro
Memory: 16gb ( 4x4gb) pc12800 ddr3/1600mhz ( Kingston Hyper x w/heatspreader)
Liquid cooling Nvidia GTX 680 2gb GDDR5 VRAM
POWERSUPPLY: 1000 Watts Silent Pro Gold Modular gaming powersupply
HDD: 240GB OCZ Agility sata III
DATA HDD: 2tb Sata II 6.0GB/s 64M Cache

my problem is the watercooling has stopped working which i suspect is the pump, I havent any knowhow on how to repair this kind of machine so I'm unsure on the course to take. my questions are this

Do i send for repair and pay a possible £300.00 for repair by cyberpower ensuring its fully working
Is it worth repairing at all, do i buy a new pc on limited budget of about £800 and thats stretching how much i can raise..

Any Advice would be very appreciated.

Its mainly used for gaming eg Witcher 3, Wow, homework by the kids

and general email and such

Thanks

Caporegime
Hi,

I think you should,

1) pull the water cooling out and fit either a heatsink or AIO

2) Pull the GFX card out for something newer/faster

Your CPU, amount of RAM, PSU, case, storage is still good.

Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

stulid's advice is sound - quality air or an AIO, clock the CPU and you're good to go again.

Plugging in a GTX 1070/1080 (depending on your screen res) and setting a moderate clock on your CPU will totally revitalise your rig. It would munch it's way through games at ULTRA, for a relatively small outlay.

Additional: If you're concerned about fan noise - moving from water - the fans on the latest GFX cards don't start to spin until they reach 60 degress, so essentially passive. And even when they do spin, if you buy a quality card, the fan noise is relatively unobtrusive.

Plus, if you went the quality air route - you would have relative silence - i own the equivalent to a Noctua DH-15 and i can't hear it even if i put my ear up close to it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies that sounds great my can you recommend a GFX card 1070 that would be good for the job, as suggested, could you also recommend a good AIO as well and would the AIO be quieter ?

Many thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the replies that sounds great my can you recommend a GFX card 1070 that would be good for the job, as suggested, could you also recommend a good AIO as well and would the AIO be quieter ?

Many thanks
This is quality value GTX 1070:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £358.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

These are examples of top end air coolers- but you can get cheaper ones that still do a great job - these are just an example and very quiet (be warned - you will need to check you case dimensions for some coolers):

Total: £320.97
(includes shipping: £11.10)

And a great value AIO:

Total: £103.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Either type of cooler does a great job - Air will last you longer as only the fan moves and fan is swapped out easily - where as the AIO has a pump but this will eventually wear out - could be years before it does (I've not been so lucky).

Both solid choices - depends what you prefer - i personally prefer quality Air but some are a PITA to fit and they're harder tp work around once in situ.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom