Upgrade Advice.....

Associate
Hi people,

Currently i drive a fiat punto 1.2 which tbh is gutless and over the 1 year i have owned it has fallen apart! but i won't go into that...

Basicly i get 1 years NCB in march and am 20 in april so will be upgrading then.

At the minute i have 3 cars which i am looking at:

Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-S:
Great little run about with almost twice the power of my current punto and nice and sporty. Also very cheap insurance! :)

Mk1 Ford Focus (1.8/2.0)
Nice car although abit on the boring side when it comes to looks and VERY common, however this again is very cheap on the insurance.

Focus St170
Very nice car.... I could afford one and i do like thm very much how ever the cheapest insurance i could find would be £240 a month! Thats double what the over 2 cars would cost and the power difference is not great enough to warrant this imo.

So i am open to ideas..... the car must:

+ Be sporty
+ Powerful (well anything over 110ish)
+ Not break down every month like a punto.
+ Not be to harsh on insurance, however will be willing to pay a high premium if the car is worth it.

Budget is around 4k - 6k maybe a little more if i am willing to wait a little longer.

The main thing holding me down is the insurance.... (20 year old guy!)

I was originally thinking of saving for a tad longer and getting a civic Type-R however the cheapest insurance premium was £2800! Thats also with a verty good postcode in Oxford. Thats a joke! So will wait another year till i maybe get one of these.

Oh and before everyone suggests a clio 172/182 i'm not keen on these as a friend of mine has one and i don't really like it. Also he has had nothing but trouble with it :(

Any other ideas would be greatly recieved! Thanks guys.

Edd :)

Soldato
Of your list I'd go for the 2.0 Focus. As you say they look a touch dated now but a few very subtle changes will get you a very tidy looking motor.

I'm not a huge fan of the interior or driving position but as theres several billion on the roads I seem to be in the minority over this. Either that or the rest of the car more than makes up for it.

Permabanned
eddie500 said:
i mean bhp :D anything like that will seem powerful to me. I'm coming from a 60bhp punto lol
I think you'd be surprised how gutless 110bhp can be in the wrong car ;) I doubt anyone who's driven a 113bhp Vectra 1.8 would ever use the word 'powerful' to describe it :D

Associate
Obviously the ST170 is by far and away the best car out of the 3, but as you have almost ruled it out on issues of cost I'd say get the Fiesta Zetec-S, especially if you want to have some fun.

Thats not to say the Focus isn't without its merits, but I personally would go for the Fiesta in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom