Upgrade Advice

Associate
I currently have a OCUK bundle i purchased almost 3 years back now, i7920 oc to 4Ghz, i was almost going to upgrade to a sandy bundle earlier in the year but i got the advice here that it was not worth it, now i am really after the sata 3 and usb 3 function i dont currently have, i have tried pci control cards for this but dont get anywhere near the speeds i should. So advice time again :) should i upgrade to a ivy i7 oc bundle or is it better just to get a Gigabyte X58 G1 Sniper Intel X58 (Socket 1366) motherboard and keep my old cpu and ram? I use mainly for gaming my gpu is a 7970. Looking at buying in 7 weeks when i come home on leave. Thanks in advance!

Soldato
if it was me i'd just go with the mobo upgrade if its the system is working well as it is and you just want the added functions of the mobo.

no offence intended, but have you confirmed the cards/drivers etc have been configured correctly ?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, the usb 3.0 is From akasa and i have the latest driver, i hardly get usb 2.0 speeds, akasa suggested i upgrade my motherboard bios, but i got told i would loose my oc if i done that. Sata controller as far as i can tell is up to date.

Soldato
if it was me i'd note down any overclock changes i'd made and update the bios.

other thing worth doing is running the hard drive tests on them and posting in the hard drive forum, people might be able to help out.

when i went about installing my ssd recently, i read the hard drive forums and found there were new intel drivers which improved things.

is the ssd firmware up to date.

sry if this seems like i'm trying to stop you getting the motherboard, but i think its worth checking things to make sure that you've covered everything in case the cards are dodgy or theres an issue with the drive etc.

Back
Top Bottom