Upgrade ancient gaming rig!

Associate
So background is that I used to be into overclocking back in the days of AMD Athlon (AXIA 1000 to 1333 anyone?!) and then P4's. Since then I got married, kids etc. and the gaming side has taken a back seat.

I have liked to keep it going to dip in and out when I have time. Now my oldest son is 10 I am playing more stuff with him and my rig has got to the point where I'm stuck on Windows 7 as Win10 drivers don't exist for my motherboard and really need to upgrade.

My current rig:

1. Coolermaster 'OCUK' case from circa 2001 with 80mm f&r, 120mm side and top + custom fan controller
  2. Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard
  3. I7 1st gen, I think a 920
  4. 12GB (4x3GB) DDR3 1333
  5. Asus Radeon RX 570 ROG STRIX OC 8GB Graphics Card (I upgraded to this earlier this year, so this can stay - paid £145 for it. I like that it has 2xDVI outputs)
  6. Corsair CXM 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze PSU (Around 5 years old, this can probably stay?)
  7. Samsung Evo 840 128GB SSD (only use this as my system/C: drive, so guessing this can stay)
  8. 1TB WD 7200 SATA HD (guessing this can stay as my main storage drive)
  9. Samsung DVD writer / CD drive (this can stay)
So what recommended Case (would like fan controller), fans, Mobo/CPU/Ram and CPU cooler would you recommend?

Mainly play things like BEAMG Drive, Assetto Corsa etc.

I have just started to look and have tended to always have Asus mobo's which have tended to serve me well over the years - is the Asus ROG Strix Z390-F good? - I5 or I7? - is 16GB ram 'enough'?

Welcome your thoughts please!

Soldato
Right here we go.

I've gone intel on this spec because OCUK has been cleaned out of lower end Ryzen CPU's. Cheapest they have in stock is 3700x for 340 notes & I wouldn't pay that.
So assuming you are keeping the GPU, PSU, Both storage drives & the optical drive, heres the rest.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £488.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

I'm certain that someone will be along saying I should've specced AMD instead, but the question is are you prepared to wait. Demand is bonkers for AMD/CPU/GPU & Nvidia GPU's & has been since release. It's not going to change anytime soon, certainly not before xmas. hence the above spec. It's a good little system but spend a bit more money & buy AMD if you have the patience.

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback / suggestion, I quite like the look of the case etc. and the suggestions are in line with my budget which I neglected to include! - have around £500 - £700 to spend.

Timing wise I'm keen to sort something out this month so that I can do the build over the xmas break so not sure I want to wait around for the AMD processors to become available + not sure my self-imposed budget would stretch to that anyway.

Just on the case, I'm after something quite subtle looking, black, not bothered about glass panels and LEDs but definitely want a spacious case with good airflow - I'm thinking 2x 120mm's are probably sufficient for my needs, 1 lower front 'in' and 1x upper rear 'out' I can't see the Fractal Design Define7 comes with a manual fan controller as it comes with the dynamic fans - are there any cases these days with manual fan controllers?

Back
Top Bottom