Upgrade check - AM3 to AM4

Soldato
Hi guys,

After nearly a few years with my current build I have the upgrade itch, and with Ryzen now on the market I am leaning towards the AM4 platform. My current main specs are as follows:

FX8320 @ 4.5
990FXA-UD3
PCS+ R9 290
16Gb Teamgroup Elite DDR3

It's starting to show its age with newer games, and whilst doing some streaming here and there the CPU is struggling. I've been having a look at the tech and I've come up with the following parts. I believe it all should work, but if someone could cast an eye to make sure it would be appreciated.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,522.38
(includes shipping: £0.00)

I should also point out that I will be reusing my case (Phanteks Enthoo Pro), Optical Drive and SSD/Hard Drives.

I don't have a budget per se, but I don't want to go much higher than this. Thanks for looking.

Tom

Soldato
Hi

If you hang fire a couple of weeks until April 11th the 6 core Ryzen R5 1600/X is due to release. The R5 1600 should be around the same price as an i5 (£200 ish).

I would swap out the cooler. The 120mm AIO's are not great value for money. Either stretch a bit more for a 240mm/280mm AIO or go with a high end air cooler. The Antec Kuhler H1200 240mm is pretty good value at £69.95 if you don't mind Blue LED fans, or if you want Corsair then go with the H100i v2/H105 etc.

Same with that SSD. The Intel 600p is pretty poor. If you want a real NVMe then swap it to a Samsung 960 EVO.

Do you plan to SLI ? If not then a 550W is enough, or 750W for SLI.

If you want the 8 core R7 1700 then I would do something like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,521.85
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for casting an eye over it.

I won't be buying straight away (as some of the good AM4 boards are still not available) so I guess it may be worth waiting and seeing how R5 performs and costs. I'll take a look at the 240mm AIOs, thank you.

Also with regards to the M2 I checked out a couple of reviews of the 600p and....yikes. I'll definitely go with the Samsung. I don't plan on going SLI straight away, so as long as 750w is enough then that would save me a few quid. I just don't want to get a couple of years down the line, upgrade some parts/SLI and find I don't have enough power.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom