Upgrade form a 10D to a 1000D, worth it ?

Associate
Hi All

I have recently bought a second hand Canon 10D
and I must say I am enjoying this digital SLR malarkey :D

would I see a big difference in upgrading to the 1000D with this being a much newer camera
also would it be easier to use for a noob like myself?:confused:
(only used a ixus point and click before this and I must admit finding it very hard to get good crisp pictures with the 10D)

any advice appreciated

cheers

Soldato
I wouldn't, personally. I prefer the heavier feel, and the 10D is a solid piece of kit, while the 1000D is light and plastic-y, and also a bit smaller.

If you're learning, there's no point upgrading. I'd say wait until you're ready to really start cooking with gas, and then head for either the 20 or 40, depending on your funds.

Of course, if you just want to satisfy an itch... then the 1000D will allow you to use EF-S glass which is currently not an option for you. It is also newer tech, as mentioned, although for actual quality difference or ease of use, i'm not sure how much difference you will see.

I'd still say it was unecessary money, in my opinion... but at the end of the day this is a hobby, and you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Associate
The 10D is a very capable camera, if the main reason to change is to make it easier, the 1000D will not make it easier than the 10D and it won't take better photos if you are struggling with the 10D.

You will lose the better handling, build quality and the larger viewfinder of the 10D if you change, you will gain 4 megapixels, live view and you will also be able to mount EFS lenses on the 1000D.

I think the best thing that you could do is to post some example photos that you are not happy with for us to look at and suggest ways to improve them.

You may want to get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, this is a very good book which will teach you a lot.

Associate
Hi All

I have recently bought a second hand Canon 10D
and I must say I am enjoying this digital SLR malarkey :D

would I see a big difference in upgrading to the 1000D with this being a much newer camera
also would it be easier to use for a noob like myself?:confused:
(only used a ixus point and click before this and I must admit finding it very hard to get good crisp pictures with the 10D)

any advice appreciated

cheers

I presumed that to mean that he was unhappy with them.

olv

olv

Soldato
I still love my 10D (most of the time :p) and definitely wouldn't swap it for a 1000D. A 1000D will be no easier to use.

I guess the main benefits of the 1000D would be a larger screen and faster when reviewing photos. EF-S definitely isn;t a deal breaker. I would stick with the 10D for another 6 months or more and then upgrade to a 30/40/40D if you must and then you'll really notice a difference in speed. Your pictures will not be any better though.

olv

olv

Soldato
its just that i thought newer tech = better picture
also better full auto mode while i am still learning ?

The image quality of the 10D sensor is as good as a 40D at low ISO. You wouldn't notice a difference. The only thing you would gain would be resolution and seeing as I can happily print 10D images at A2 it's not really an issue.

http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Im...268|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

The 1000D outperforms the 10D significantly in high ISO performance but that's not a great surprise as that is the 10D's weakest area in terms of image quality.

I would also argue that you won't learn anything shooting in full auto. Set the camera to Manual and experiment. You wont even begin to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO shooting in auto.

Have a look through my gallery, all bar 3 were taken with my 10D and the other 3 I used a 20D (so hardly new tech). http://www.devolv.co.uk/gallery/

I say stick with what you've got before spending more money for little gain.

Soldato
Indeed, you'd do better to invest the cash in some glass.

I'd agree with Mr Jones too. Something with a wide range of uses would be perfect as you will begin to notice what type of photographer you are. Something like a 24-70 or 17-70 will allow you to try out landscapes, portraiture and a small amount of zoom for wildlife/sports.

If you find you enjoy one of those more than the rest, then you can invest in new glass down the line to complement it.

Relax, also. Some people (the jammy gits) can pick up a camera and produce magic. The rest of us mortals have to take our time, practice, and even learn a few things about ourselves on the way.

Back
Top Bottom