Associate
Hey upgrading from the following system

1 x Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
2 x MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Edition 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
1 x Gigabyte Z87X-OC Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
1 x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW)
1 x 1TB HD
1 x Samsung Blu ray rewriter
1 x Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G213C1K)
1 x Thermalright True Spirit 140 BW Cooler
1 x XFX ProSeries (XXX Edition) 850W
1 x Fractal Design ARC Miditower R2 Side Window

I would like to go intel/rtx for my next system for 60 FPS gaming in ultra wide screen/1440p. No budget if you can fit in 2080ti at good value that would be good but don’t mind
Prefer quieter smaller case

Associate
I would just buy a new gpu for the short term. Then wait and see what Ryzen 3000 brings to the table. Your current cpu is still pretty good anyway.

Agree with lee.

I'm in the same boat. Just upgraded to a Vega64 and feel it's pushing the cpu harder for the better. Waiting to see what the Ryzen 3000's look like when released.

Do you still have it running at 3.5Ghz? The 4770k's are great overclockers. Mine has been running at 4.4Ghz for 5 years without skipping a beat. Overclocking it would get more out of it until you wait for an upgrade.

Man of Honour
keep the 4770k and overclock it, if it's still not overclocked. TRUS140 is a good cooler, and will be able to cope
get another 8gb ddr3 ram to make a total of 16gb - get this used, as ddr3 ram is dead tech, so doesn't warrant spending good money on it.
upgrade your gpu as already suggested - this will make the biggest difference
and if you want, a bigger ssd for your games and programs, and keep your 1tb hdd only for pr0n media storage

Soldato
Yeah it’s still run on base clock and I would stick with intel cpu wise
Because getting screwed to butt by anti-consumer company is fun?

On Intel side you'll just end end up paying lot more than you did for 4770K for a CPU and platform that won't stay high end for half as long as 4770K.
Heck, there would be only one incremental architectural step.
All current Intel CPUs are architecturally same is sixth gen Skylake. (which was Haswell's desktop successor)
Since Skylake only clock speeds have been cranked up and more cores added finally after stalling for decade...
And crippling advance of game development along the way.

Well, next-gen consoles hopefully kick game development many years forward from that Intel induced coma.
They'll likely come with 8c/16t Zen2, whose engineering sample was demoed matching 9900K's performance at lot lower power consumption.
Even counting moderate clock speeds for lowish TDP of consoles, coding for fixed hardware and lot lower bloatware/overhead than in PC's is going to give games pretty much equal CPU power.

So for PC to last longer time as high end it will need more "horse power" than what Intel is giving... even at exorbitant prices.
And without upgrade path, because Intel changes sockets just for the fun of screwing consumers to butt:
https://www.techpowerup.com/250109/...0-ghz-overclock-on-a-z170-chipset-motherboard
Even on new socket Intel can't really do any real upgrade, until sorting out their failed manufacturing node development.
With real all core load max consumption being far over 100W Intel simply can't push more beef into cores or increase their count.

While Zen2 CPUs are going to work in current AM4 motherbord after BIOS update.
With 12 cores/24 threads likely being £300 level.
So best would be to wait for summer and upgrade that graphics card, which is notable bottleneck for any higher resolutions now.

Anyway 60Hz isn't going to put much of stress on CPU and there wouldn't be much of difference between Intel and current Ryzens...
Which are notably clock limited because of GlobalFoundries manufacturing process (bought from Samsung) was originally designed for phone/tablet CPUs.
Zen2s are made by TSMC with high performance node more advanced than that used by Intel.

While for instant game loading time improvement you could get bigger SSDs actually fitting more games.
Price of 1TB is very reasonable:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0a-hd-54j-wd.html

Soldato
Just don't interpret the "1.45v on air max" as viable. Around 1.275-1.3v will already produce enough heat with your cooler (when running heavy loads). And keep it simple to begin with and only touch the Vcore and multiplier. See how it goes. Most times no need to tinker with anything else.

Recommend running Cinebench runs which are quick after every multiplier increase (by 1). Until you BSOD. At which point you can increase voltage (if temps allow) or scale multiplier back. Once you've found your maximum stable Cinebench overclock, test with stronger stuff and fine-tune voltage/multiplier. Then if needed mess with other stuff mentioned in the link above.

CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 are handy apps to have open while you do this stuff.

Soldato
As others have said just overclock your CPU, it is a really good one still. If you want to spend the money buy that 2080ti for a grand and get another SSD for games. You can then wait for Ryzen 3000 and see if it would be worth it.

Associate
OP
148ENan.jpg

How is this?? I get around 54-59 degree on load like on Anthem at Ultra. I did Auto OC the medium option turned it to 4.3 ghz but the voltage went to 1.382, so stuck to the lighter option.

Soldato
Don't use Auto OC, you'll never get an ideal voltage or clock.

Set Windows 10 Power Plan to High Performance. None of that 800MHz laptop stuff.

Start manually with a very gentle 1.224v Vcore at 4.2GHz. Use Fixed/Override Core Voltage (or similar) so that Vcore doesn't spike with AVX.

Back
Top Bottom