• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 780 Ti SLI - 980 Ti?

Associate
I currently run two 780 Tis in SLI. Cost me about £200 for the pair at the height of the mining craze.

Have been considering selling up and going for a 980 Ti - anyone know how this would stack up performance wise?

Some pretty good deals out there on 980 Tis at the moment. I’d be hoping it’d be about as fast as my current SLI setup but:
Less power draw
Quieter
Better performance in non-SLI titles
Option of adding a second 980 Ti in the future

Or there’s the 1070 Ti but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra cash really...

Associate
A good overclocked 980 Ti around the region of 1450-1500+mhz and 8ghz on the memory is around 780 sli in terms of performance so the 780 Ti's will be quicker where sli is working. Though given the state of sli these days the 980 Ti would be a much faster card. I've got one myself and love it and you're right you can get one cheap now much less than £300 seen some go for £250 which is madness! like I say overclock it well and you're ahead of GTX 1070 and around vega56 in performance

Soldato
I did this move, saw it as a side grade at best. I had enough of SLI and the 980Ti offered about the same performance in a single card configuration.

I sold my 780Tis off so ended up not spending too much more. I made the move a while after then 980Ti had launched. In your position now I'd be considering a 10 series to realise some tangible upgrade. I was happy to with the move to the 980Ti however.

Both were under water and clocked as high as they could go before voltage constraints kicked in.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies! £250 is about where I’d want to be at really given it’d be very similar or slightly slower in SLI titles (most of what I play). 780 Ti SLI is excellent value in terms of raw performance right now but it’s also noisy and power hungry. Extra performance in non-SLI titles, extra VRAM and the other things mentioned above would be what I was hoping to gain.

On the other hand the most demanding non-SLI game I play is AC: Origins, 1 780Ti can run that at a pretty solid 60FPS at 1080p throughout on high settings so you could question if there was any point performance wise at all...

A side grade would be fine as I’m mostly happy with the performance of my current setup, and I would have the benefit of being able to add another 980 Ti if need be later on. Both my current cards are reference and not great overclockers so a really well overclocked 980 Ti would probably give them a run for their money.

Associate
it's a shame you missed a classy not that long ago for £275 on the bay excellent value!

if you look now there's an MSI card on there for £285 again I had the 970 and 980 MSI version and the cooler was excellent and quiet so I can only imagine it's the same with the Ti maybe just a bit hotter due to it being a bigger gpu to cool.

although there's an MSI aero edition 1070 for sale on the bay for £265 could that be an option? I think the Ti once both are overclocked will be faster and quieter due to non ref design but the 1070 uses less power, more Vram and is newer?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice folks. You sold me on the 1070 so I ended up getting a fairly good deal on a brand new Gigabyte G1 1070 - £285. I think that’ll do nicely for now. Also managed to sell the 780 Tis for the same money I paid for them and got most of that back which is nice too.

If the 1070 isn’t up to the job I can always flip it and get a 1080 or something but I feel like it’ll do me for now.

Associate
OP
The 1070 is here and I’ve done a couple benchmarks with it. Valley score was 3947 which is a tad surprising given the 780 Tis used to get around 5500 - but in terms of gaming all I can say is wow, much higher frame rates and much smoother to boot (not when vsync’d to 60fps but much fewer annoying stutters)

Shouldn’t be the case given the decrease in raw power switching to the 1070 but wow have Nvidia left the 700 series drivers to rot!

Man of Honour
The 1070 is here and I’ve done a couple benchmarks with it. Valley score was 3947 which is a tad surprising given the 780 Tis used to get around 5500 - but in terms of gaming all I can say is wow, much higher frame rates and much smoother to boot (not when vsync’d to 60fps but much fewer annoying stutters)

Shouldn’t be the case given the decrease in raw power switching to the 1070 but wow have Nvidia left the 700 series drivers to rot!

You need to check the settings as a 1070 will always beat a 780 Ti on Valley.:)

Associate
OP
You need to check the settings as a 1070 will always beat a 780 Ti on Valley.:)

Yeah that was comparing the 1070 to 2 780 Tis in SLI... it walks all over a single one of them!

Probably from what I’ve experimented with so far it should be good for a 5% overclock which isn’t the absolute greatest but a handy bit of free performance nonetheless. Boosts to just under 2ghz stock though which is fine by me.

1 780 Ti is still a cracking budget option but... SLI isn’t worth it I’m afraid! 1070 seems better value than a 980 Ti at the moment if they’re both similar performance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom