1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from a GTX 1070 to what?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Garyj881, 10 Nov 2020.

1. Garyj881

Wise Guy

I was going to keep my current gfx card but feel it may be a bottleneck in my system. Can I get a reasonable upgrade from a GTX1070 (nonTI) for less than £500…?

Current system
    Ryzen 5 5600X (when it turns up)
    MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk
    32GB of Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
    750w Super Flower

I currently game at 1920 x 1200 on a HP 24" but will be upgrading the monitor to a 27" early next year.

2. ColdAsIce

Soldato

Founders Edition RTX 3070 for £469

3. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Just upgraded my 1070 to a 3070. It's about double the performance, decent upgrade :)

4. varkanoid

Capodecina

Considering how hard the 3xxx series are to get at the moment why dont you wait and find out how well your 1070 performs. You might be surprised and find its fine or that it will suffice until the GPU stocks settle down. Although judging by the Xbox launch today nothing this year is going to be in stock for very long.

5. Blue160

Mobster

I've done the same and I'm very happy with mine too. You'll have to be patient to find an FE though if you want to stay within budget. I was impatient and spent £519 on a Palit Gaming Pro.

6. drakulton

Wise Guy

Anything that is in stock.

7. Digital Dreamer

Gangster

You could do buy now play later with oc... it’s gives you 9 months gaming free interest while you wait.

8. EdGey

Sgarrista

Do they even exist?
    I had one of those in a basket recently and talked myself out of it. Also coming from a 1070 so its overdue really ! How is it in the flesh? I wasn't sure about the cooler design.

9. Garyj881

Wise Guy

Ok, since opening this thread and prematurely commuting to a graphics card upgrade. I have told my nephew he can have my 1070 along with my old i5 setup for £300 and an additional £50 for my old HP 24" monitor being a Christmas gift for his step son. So I need a replacement card before Christmas. With the 350 from the old build, I'll purchase a new 27" monitor.

I have been out of the loop so wasn't aware of the stock situation with the 3 series graphics cards.

10. Blue160

Mobster

It’s great basically.

The card looks fine in the case (the RGB effect is nasty but you can turn it off) but it’s absolutely huge. The cooler works really well. Almost inaudible on the standard clocks. You get a low woosh under full load with the power limit turned up. I’ve not touched the core clock but the memory has taken plus 900 with no stability issues.

Performance is a different league to the 1070. I suppose that should be no surprise as it’s equivalent to a 2080Ti. I’m currently revisiting Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I game at 1080p and I’m getting around 100fps consistently with everything on full including the ray traced shadows.

11. EdGey

Sgarrista

Good stuff, thanks. I'll keep a look out for more stock then. I'm looking forward to revisiting some games too. Namely Red dead redemption 2 and Farcry 5, which the 1070 wasn't really the best for. Oh and of course... Cyberpunk 2077 is just around the corner.

12. Kirby Wurm

Wise Guy

Clearly finding stock is the issue at the moment. Even something like a 2080 or Super would represent a hefty upgrade but what stock remains is now very poorly priced.

13. ShakeNBake

Wise Guy

until they can get some stock on shelves, 3000 series gonna cost way over £500, prolly well into next year at current rate of supply. kinda sux.