Upgrade from Alienware aw3821dw to 4k non ultrawide

Soldato
I'm getting bored of my monitor and want to look for something bigger. I was tempted by the 48" LG CX for a while and got excited about the 42" coming, but it's too far away. I do like the width of the 38" so I'm guessing I'd only like something in the 42" space and IPS is a minimum as I love the decent colour. Ideally gsync module and 120+ hz are almost a requirement.

Thoughts?

Associate
That will be no upgrade for you. It's a big downgrade. There are no good big uhd screen out there which could compete with AW3821DW. Only hdr is much better on Samsung mini led tv's with this size (43QN90A). But the rest is worlds more worse.

I would keep the AW3821DW and would buy in addition a tv for hdr. I did the same.

Have AW3821DW for daily use/gaming. PG32UQX for bright hdr. LG C1 48" for darker hdr and 55" G1 for 20 % more hdr brightness over C1 48" for couch gaming.

So im equipped with the best of the best for every scenario.

Soldato
OP
That will be no upgrade for you. It's a big downgrade. There are no good big uhd screen out there which could compete with AW3821DW. Only hdr is much better on Samsung mini led tv's with this size (43QN90A). But the rest is worlds more worse.

I would keep the AW3821DW and would buy in addition a tv for hdr. I did the same.

Have AW3821DW for daily use/gaming. PG32UQX for bright hdr. LG C1 48" for darker hdr and 55" G1 for 20 % more hdr brightness over C1 48" for couch gaming.

So im equipped with the best of the best for every scenario.

Bugger, figured as much :( Got a 65" LG CX for couch gaming and film watching downstairs. Wanted to full on replace the monitor. I'll wait until LG release the 42 and buy it to test for a while.

Associate
What is the upgrade for? From the specs you've listed, it sounds like you simply want something fractionally bigger, which doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. I'm guessing that the rest of your rig can drive this, so 4k isn't too much of a concern?

The monitor you currently have does all that you want (purely specs wise) so what additional are you aiming for? I am biased as I own an aw3821, but if I was looking for an upgrade it would basically be an OLED version which doesn't exist, sadly. If its just size, your only options as far as I'm aware are a new TV with hdmi 2.1.

Soldato
OP
What is the upgrade for? From the specs you've listed, it sounds like you simply want something fractionally bigger, which doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. I'm guessing that the rest of your rig can drive this, so 4k isn't too much of a concern?

The monitor you currently have does all that you want (purely specs wise) so what additional are you aiming for? I am biased as I own an aw3821, but if I was looking for an upgrade it would basically be an OLED version which doesn't exist, sadly. If its just size, your only options as far as I'm aware are a new TV with hdmi 2.1.

Just the usual 'itch' of wanting to upgrade something. I have a 9900k at 5Gghz, Asus 3090 Strix OC (both under water) with 32gb ram. So yea, the resolution isn't much of an issue.

I might finally get round to upgrading my audio gear come to think about it whilst I wait for the new LG CX.

Caporegime
Just the usual 'itch' of wanting to upgrade something. I have a 9900k at 5Gghz, Asus 3090 Strix OC (both under water) with 32gb ram. So yea, the resolution isn't much of an issue.

Ryzen V-Cache cpu's are supposedly coming soon, that should satisfy one itch if you want a gaming boost.

Associate
I might finally get round to upgrading my audio gear come to think about it whilst I wait for the new LG CX.

Depending on your currenr sound, I'd definitely be looking at this first - recently opened a thread about trying to sort my downstairs out with surround audio, and now it's sorted, absolutely loving it. Enjoyed it so much, I dug out a couple of old Logitech speakers to use in the office as rear satellites, and it's worked wonderfully.

Associate
I have just sent back 3 monitors in 1 week .

LG32GP850
AW38
Neo G9

I will order another AW38 , best of the bad bunch , i really liked the screen , the colours , the wideness is perfect , size is perfect not so in HDR ,some games are ok in HDR but not many .
Then i will order a Cheap 27in to go next to it for multi purpose stuff while gaming, then in 2022 (delayed) i will get the LG OLED 42C2 .. This is then have the 3 things i wanted out of the Neo G9 for all not a lot more in cost .

Neo G9 has to be the worst monitor i have ever purchased . its not even close to a finished product ,i believe there will be a recall , if they don't then its theft . i bought the neo G9 for 2x 27in 2560x1440p screen side by side , it can not and will not be used for such a thing , Samsung want you to use its a an ultra wide HDR mess . when i hooked up 2 machines to the G9 PBP all settings , like response time , HDR , Gsync ,Freesync ,local dimming ext ext , was all greyed out , couldn't control anything but brightness or contrast and thats it. even switching to xbox series x and one x the screen just don't want to play ball. i mean what is the point if having the 2x screen PBP ? its just a gimmick of the highest order and is pure theft . even in Nvidia control panel there was no gsync there . oh and the Curve , wow its just far to much , its in your face literally and give you a sun tan at same time with the heat that comes off it .

after going back from PBP the local dimming wouldn't work at all . like other settings , they just wouldn't work all functional and not greyed out . i had to turn monitor off and back on again .. even then i had to turn it off for a second time for over 5 mins for it to reset and local dimming worked again . i do have to admit when local dimming was set to auto the screens blacks were black for me and i have an OLED 65in C9 in living room and the blacks are on par with that . but that's the only good thing about the screen. Samsung excepted the return by just me stating the curve was just to much and it was back in its box within the hour of settings it up . i couldn't be blessed arguing with them like i had argued with Dell for the AW38 which had horrid bleed in both bottom corners and none in top corners , even sent them images that was taken in daylight and dimmed room , they wouldn't exchange it only refund . G9 is being picked up Monday and Aw38 being picked up Tuesday . LG was picked up last week having used it for 10 days and no joy and cant be blessed going into that one . i made a post about the LG on here . the G9 is way way way far to expensive to wait for updates , as after all we are all beta testers in this modern age and we shouldn't be . the money we pay these companies for there QC issues. Samsung also make it hard to return i think as there was no return option in my orders on there site. had to use chat and even then they said to phone , i said no i want this sorted now and in writing . i know you can do returns through chat as Samsung Facebook messenger said to do so . They then arranged return .

Associate
I have ordered 4 AW3821DW to get one excellent model with very good uniformity, mostly pure white and nearly no blb. Only a little bit ips glow in addition.
The G9 Neo has very bad hdr. The PG32UQX is worlds better. But if you want an overall good hdr display go for the C2. The PG32UQX is nothing for single use case. The fans are annoying, only acceptable with sound.
And the blooming can be in dark areas from time to time very, very annoying. Nothing you will get with an oled. Also the response times are not so fast. But it's enough for casual CS Go. I saw only a few times white smear.
It's better as old va panels. So no overall mess of smear and motion blur :D.

There will be no recall for G9 Neo. The noobs are hyped and don't know how good hdr looks like.
I have watched the same demos on youtube with G9 Neo and PG32UQX. Holy ****, how dimm and bad G9 Neos colors are. Even AW3821DW with cheap edge led is brighter and has much better colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB3XH5t9QCA

This demo for example. On PG32UQX it looks like real fire and it has real life colors, extremely high dynamic range of colors, contrast and brightness. On G9 its dimm and screwed colors. Not looking real.

PBP is nothing you will get with G9 Neo and G9 with all features. It's bugged.

Last edited:
Associate
I have ordered 4 AW3821DW to get one excellent model with very good uniformity, mostly pure white and nearly no blb. Only a little bit ips glow in addition.
The G9 Neo has very bad hdr. The PG32UQX is worlds better. But if you want an overall good hdr display go for the C2. The PG32UQX is nothing for single use case. The fans are annoying, only acceptable with sound.
And the blooming can be in dark areas from time to time very, very annoying. Nothing you will get with an oled. Also the response times are not so fast. But it's enough for casual CS Go. I saw only a few times white smear.
It's better as old va panels. So no overall mess of smear and motion blur :D.

There will be no recall for G9 Neo. The noobs are hyped and don't know how good hdr looks like.
I have watched the same demos on youtube with G9 Neo and PG32UQX. Holy ****, how dimm and bad G9 Neos colors are. Even AW3821DW with cheap edge led is brighter and has much better colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB3XH5t9QCA

This demo for example. On PG32UQX it looks like real fire and it has real life colors, extremely high dynamic range of colors, contrast and brightness. On G9 its dimm and screwed colors. Not looking real.

PBP is nothing you will get with G9 Neo and G9 with all features. It's bugged.

I have just ordered my 27in go to monitor and its cheap .. but looks good on paper . its only so kids can use my pc when they use it and to play xbox one x , missis can play with me in same room . I will of course get the AW38 again , regarding AW38 how did you get 4 examples ? did you have to buy each one or was they exchanges as they wouldn't exchange with me as they don't class light bleed as a problem. i love the AW38 so the Dell S2721DGFA should be ok for £266 (with 10% site discount and vouchers earned from previous laptop purchase £379 normal price) . ips , 165hz , HDR400 (not bothered about HDR400) .

I needed a cheap-ish monitor so kids and missis could use without them using the AW38 and the future OLED 42 C2 .

Getting a PG32UQX is not an option with the price of it . i can get a 75In OLED and ultrawide and a 27in for the price of the Asus .

you dont work for asus do you ?

I 100% agree with you on the G9 though .. i just cant get over how bad it is , infact i had nightmares on how bad it is and worried me sick that i wouldnt be able to return such a bad screen for such a lot of money .I just hope the finance company plays ball .

Associate
I bought every time a new one if it sucks. I want wait for exchange, or outrun my 14 day refund possibility. I reordered because of bad homogenity. Vignette effect and no good white uniformity (red/yellow color tints). That the bad lottery about the AW3821DW.
You can't do calibration in order to fix it, if you have several color tints. You can only calibrate one point, the rest gets interpolated. If the panel is a mess it's impossible to get it useable.

I don't work for Asus :D. It was a joke, that im doing their qc. But for my 7 PG32UQX i did the qc for them :D.

The S2721DGF should be fine for your wife and the childs.

I wouldn't let childs in a room with such expensive hardware. I would get a cardiac infarction :D. Especially an oled is very sensitive. Even if you use a soft 100 % cotton cloth you can scratch it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ryzen V-Cache cpu's are supposedly coming soon, that should satisfy one itch if you want a gaming boost.

I might look into it, but I've always favoured Intel, maybe time to change? My 'fan boi' for Intel is nothing to do with performance and I know the current king is AMD, it's purely just one of those things. I've always had Intel.

Depending on your currenr sound, I'd definitely be looking at this first - recently opened a thread about trying to sort my downstairs out with surround audio, and now it's sorted, absolutely loving it. Enjoyed it so much, I dug out a couple of old Logitech speakers to use in the office as rear satellites, and it's worked wonderfully.

At the moment, I've got an Asus Xonar STX ii with 3 Burson Audio V6 vivid op-amps which powers my Sennheiser HD 650's. Absolutely brilliant setup, but I think I'm going to get a Schiit stack (Bifrost 2 DAC with a Valhalla 2 amp). As for surround, my office would greatly suit it as I've just moved into a new house and my office is ideal for it. At the moment, I've got 2 Klipsch bookshelf speakers I need to mount for a 2.0 setup for desktop audio. But I'm waiting on phono to banana splitters in order to plug them into the sound card. Although, with the Schiit stack, that won't be needed which is nice.

Sod it, I'm going schiit stack for my next upgrade next week. Makes the most sense.

Soldato
OP
I've been the same for a damn good while, I only went over when Zen3 proved to be the better performer/platform. AlderLake and the V-Cache Zens are coming so it should be a good battle :)

I love it when 2 companies battle, we as consumers are always the winner! I'm about to build a living room TV rig, I might go AMD for that.

Associate
I bought every time a new one if it sucks. I want wait for exchange, or outrun my 14 day refund possibility. I reordered because of bad homogenity. Vignette effect and no good white uniformity (red/yellow color tints). That the bad lottery about the AW3821DW.
You can't do calibration in order to fix it, if you have several color tints. You can only calibrate one point, the rest gets interpolated. If the panel is a mess it's impossible to get it useable.

I don't work for Asus :D. It was a joke, that im doing their qc. But for my 7 PG32UQX i did the qc for them :D.

The S2721DGF should be fine for your wife and the childs.

I wouldn't let childs in a room with such expensive hardware. I would get a cardiac infarction :D. Especially an oled is very sensitive. Even if you use a soft 100 % cotton cloth you can scratch it.

To be fair if everyone was like you - no one would use any monitor ever........

Associate
I'm getting bored of my monitor and want to look for something bigger. I was tempted by the 48" LG CX for a while and got excited about the 42" coming, but it's too far away. I do like the width of the 38" so I'm guessing I'd only like something in the 42" space and IPS is a minimum as I love the decent colour. Ideally gsync module and 120+ hz are almost a requirement.

Thoughts?

I use a 38 Alienware and also a 4k 48 in the same room. Have also used a Aorus 43. It all depends on your viewing distance and use case scenario. If its pure gaming ( non console ) then the 38 is the best compromise out of all of them. Out of all 3 I drifted back to the 38 due to visibility and comfort. If you have space mount a 4k 48 OLED near the 38 and push it in and out for gaming as required.

Back
Top Bottom