• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from Crossfire 5870's

Associate
Hi, as the title states I'm thinking of upgrading from my dual 5870's as I'm beginning to feel the 1GB of ram and think an upgrade could help.

I'm wondering what would be the best value for money for me to upgrade me to. I'd rather not spend more than £250 so I was thinking this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-065-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1673

might be my best option. Are there better performing cards in that price range or is that about the best value at the moment? I expect I would get a peformance increase if I overclock that card, or would I not? It's hard to tell now as benchmarks rarely include CF 5870's (a mistake imo considering how widespread they seem to be)

Also, does anyone know what used 5870's currently sell for, as I would probably sell those on to recoup some of the price. (Although one does have a loose fan I haven't had the time to fix yet)

Thanks!

Associate
For that price range, that 7950 is the best bang for the buck. Definitely overclock it though, as they have so much headroom. 5870's seem to be going for about £70 on the bay (they keep their value quite well as they are one of the most popular bitcoin mining cards) so you should get at least £100 for the pair after all expenses are taken into account.

Associate
OP
Would I see much fps/performance increase going from dual 5870's to an overclocked 7950 or would it be more of a "eliminate crossfire"/futureproof kind of deal?

Soldato
I went from crossfired 5870's (at stock) to a stock 7970 and performance went down slightly. Overclocked the 7970 to 1125/1575 and the difference went in it's favour. This was on 1920x1200, at 5760x1080 the 7970 was always faster and I could use higher settings thanks to the extra VRAM.

Associate
OP
As I play at 1920x1200 and I thus tend to keep AA off, which I expect is the biggest vram eater, do you think I'm better off with my 5870's for now?

It just seems from the replies that it's more of a side upgrade at the moment where I may be better off saving for the next gen?

Associate
It depends on whether you feel that your current setup is satisfactory or not. A 7950 overclocked will outperform CF 5870's, but if you are happy with what you have, then it may be better to hold fire.

Back
Top Bottom