1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from i5 3570k?

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by odiuk, May 19, 2019.

  1. odiuk

    Associate

    Joined: May 19, 2019

    Posts: 4

    Hi, could any of you lovely knowledgeable folks give me some recommendations.
    My system is;
    i5 3570k cpu
    gigabyte z77-d3h mobo
    16gb ddr3
    gtx 1070

    Would there be a worthwhile upgrade for this with a budget around the £500 mark.
    I'm thinking it would be an upgrade to the cpu.
    Any advice please?
    thanks.
     
  2. Dave Burton

    Gangster

    Joined: May 8, 2018

    Posts: 106

    I'd say overclock the CPU a bit, and grab a 1080Ti second hand as I reckon this would give you more bag for your buck, i'm sure others will comment along the same lines :)
     
  3. Plec

    Capodecina

    Joined: Apr 19, 2003

    Posts: 11,870

    He has a very capable GPU already if gaming at 1080p or even 1440p.

    @odiuk, what is your monitor?

    But, regardless, I would wait for the release of Zen 2 and upgrade your CPU/motherboard/memory then - approx ~8 weeks. You should be able to pick up minimum - 8c/16t CPU (3600X (sic))/X570 motherboard/16GB DDR4 and a PSU if needed - or greater, depending if PSU needed.

    *You may have to include your PSU, depending on model/age too.
     
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  4. EsaT

    Soldato

    Joined: Jun 6, 2008

    Posts: 5,860

    Location: Finland

    Welcome aboard.

    Definitely no sense to upgrade GPU with their current pricing.
    Doubt prices of used ones are any better.

    Also for CPU upgrade better to wait for Zen2 to get more performance per buck and less vulnerabilities.
    Intel's are mostly overpriced and their speculative code execution has more holes than Swiss cheese.
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/368372/new-intel-chip-flaws-can-leak-confidential-data-from-the-cpu
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/

    PSU again could be something to change if it wasn't high quality model.
     
  5. LukieBoy007

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Apr 4, 2012

    Posts: 1,754

    Location: England

    Wait for Zen 2 and upgrade CPU/mobo/RAM (especially if gaming at 1080p). Definitely add in an SSD if you don't have one already as well.
     
  6. odiuk

    Associate

    Joined: May 19, 2019

    Posts: 4

    I do use it just for gaming, and I find it chugs a bit on some games no matter the graphics settings that I use.
    Monitor is a BENQ XL2411T
    The PSU is a "PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk 2 750 watt"

    Its a prebuilt machine that I got from ocuk a few years back, came overclocked but I had lots of problems with it just dying a death on me so had to use standard settings in the bios.
     
  7. LukieBoy007

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Apr 4, 2012

    Posts: 1,754

    Location: England

    What kind of games are you playing? I have the same CPU and some games I just can't get stable framerates at anymore (especially open world games).
     
  8. odiuk

    Associate

    Joined: May 19, 2019

    Posts: 4

    Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is the current offender
     
  9. Plec

    Capodecina

    Joined: Apr 19, 2003

    Posts: 11,870

    Yep, at 1080p your present GPU will be doing a great job - but your CPU will be holding it back in certain instances - especially if not clocked?.

    As mentioned, wait for the release of ZEN 2 - and then upgrade your CPU/motherboard and memory.

    Your PSU was a quality unit - ageing a bit now so you may want to consider an upgrade - but it should power a new upgrade if it's all tickety-boo.

    This will probably be the CPU bottlenecking the GPU - this will disappear - depending on game title with upgrade. You could help a bit in the mean time by clocking the CPU - if not done so already (and you have a decent cooler).
     
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  10. odiuk

    Associate

    Joined: May 19, 2019

    Posts: 4

    Alright, sounds like a good call. I'll wait for Zen 2 then go ahead with an upgrade then.
    Thanks.
    Gives me some time to put some more funds to one side for it too.
     
  11. sunshinewelly

    Gangster

    Joined: Nov 3, 2010

    Posts: 395

    Or get a bargain priced current ryzen. I had the same cpu and it was really struggling with some games. I got a b450 motherboard which will still be compatible with zen 2 and got a rysen 7 2700 for £160

    The new 8 core zen 2 will not be that price.
     
  12. Double07

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Jan 10, 2006

    Posts: 1,060

    I dunno according to all the leaks from "reliable sources" itll be a 8c/16t for the price of a bag of space raiders, pre the 20p/smaller bag debacle!
     
  13. Danny75

    Soldato

    Joined: Aug 26, 2013

    Posts: 7,172

    lol yes.

    It's excellent reverse-marketing from consumers to company, though. They have to bear in mind not to disappoint them TOO much. :)