• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade i5-3570K to?

Associate
First Post!
Considering an upgrade after 5.5 years with the same rig.
I've OCd my CPU to 4.2GHz, stable af on air cooling, no voltage changes.
It's a good little churner for gaming, but lacks firepower in other situations such as 3D model rendering.
Want something that ultimately renders a lot faster, but also as a bonus gives me more FPS.
I know I'd have to get shot of the MB and RAM as well. Wouldn't want to throw more than 500 at it.
What do you reckon? Ryzen 7 2700X or an intel equivalent? Would the Ryzen give me better performance in gaming? I know that it would be a lot better at rendering as my software would 100% utilise the extra cores, but I'd ideally like to see some performance gains in games if I'm to throw 100s at my machine again.
A lot of games rely on fast single thread speeds, but not so sure these days! The single thread speed rating of the new Ryzen 7 2700X is not much higher than the 6 year old i5-3570K and I'm OC'ing it, I'd like to think the newer one would tank the old one!!
The i7-8700K looks the ticket but it's just too dear!!!

Soldato
I've said this a few times, but you could go with an R5 2600/X which are only £140/£180 but will give you 6c12t for your tasks like rendering, but no real improvement in single threaded games.

The bonus however is if Zen2 works out really well, you'll be able to drop in a new CPU and get another big boost but still not have spent as much as you would have on the 8700K. If it does not you've not spent the earth but at least benefited in some way. How heavily balanced is work Vs play?

2600/B450/16GB DDR4 3000 is only £360.

Associate
OP
I do a lot of work on my machine, a lot of that is not rendering though. I do more gaming than rendering if I'm honest, but I'm less likely to use the machine for heavy rendering because it's slow on that front.
Going the R5 route is an interesting strategy, waiting for Zen 2. got me thinking

Associate
OP
I had an AMD Phenom X4 9950 black edition, OCd it. Way back before my i5. It ran like a beast with 3DS MAX, was that just my imagination? It seemed to blow the i5 outta the water

Associate
Hello fellow 3570K users :)

If you are gaming and doing heavy rendering as well, and the 3570K is really starting to bother you, then the 2700X seems like a great choice since it offers great value and especially power for rendering.
Another option is to wait some 6 months for AMD's 7nm CPU generation to arrive and get an overall boost in games and rendering.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replies so far. If I was to sell my Motherboard, RAM, CPU and Cooler, OCd as it is, how much you reckon I could get? trying to weigh up the costs. Not many people on eBay selling that bundle, mostly from America, want upwards of £600 which is laughable.

Soldato
I would honestly try and hold out for AMDs release in 2019 and upgrade to an i7 3770k for now. The extra 4 threads do help on such low core count by today's standards. 4.3 is a given with low voltage. Pcie 4 possibly on next ryzen plus noticeably faster speeds by the looks of it. If you can't hold out, by a good quality x470 board in case you want the drop in upgrade come release. 2600x is the sweet spot.

Soldato
I've just upgraded from a i5 3570 to a ryzen 5 2600 and to me its a no brainer. I previously had an i7 7700k before down grading to the 3570k (helped to sponsor a suzuki 1200 bandit motorbike) but the 3570k was noticeably slower in comparison, that I decided to go for a total upgrade to the 2600. Glad I did, everything is a lot quicker/smoother, games run far better, and I've now got an upgrade path for the next generation ryzen when it appears next year hopefully and it was cheaper than going down the Intel route.

Associate
Currently running a 3570k and will be waiting until next year for the 7nm ryzens. Will likely go for a 3600 or what they call it then? Assuming this motherboard doesn't finally turn up its toes in the meantime...

Associate
OP
I've just upgraded from a i5 3570 to a ryzen 5 2600 and to me its a no brainer. I previously had an i7 7700k before down grading to the 3570k (helped to sponsor a suzuki 1200 bandit motorbike) but the 3570k was noticeably slower in comparison, that I decided to go for a total upgrade to the 2600. Glad I did, everything is a lot quicker/smoother, games run far better, and I've now got an upgrade path for the next generation ryzen when it appears next year hopefully and it was cheaper than going down the Intel route.

Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 tomahawk, 2 x 8gb Team group Vulcan 3000mhz ram, Arctic T33 cooler, Asus 1070 dual oc, coolermaster V700 psu, umpteen hard drives

Will that B450 support a Zen 2 CPU?

Associate
All B450 and X470 motherboards are designed for Zen1 (14nm) and Zen+ (12nm) CPU from the start, so it will work :)
Zen 2 on 7nm will just require a BIOS update if you upgrade CPU in the future.

Associate
I would honestly try and hold out for AMDs release in 2019 and upgrade to an i7 3770k for now. The extra 4 threads do help on such low core count by today's standards. 4.3 is a given with low voltage. Pcie 4 possibly on next ryzen plus noticeably faster speeds by the looks of it. If you can't hold out, by a good quality x470 board in case you want the drop in upgrade come release. 2600x is the sweet spot.

Currently running a 3570k and will be waiting until next year for the 7nm ryzens. Will likely go for a 3600 or what they call it then? Assuming this motherboard doesn't finally turn up its toes in the meantime...

Also running a 3570K and thought about swapping out for for an i7 3770K (or none K even) for a short term boost. Having thought about it over last 2 weeks I'm leaning more towards swapping mobo out for an X470 AM4 and probably Ryzen 5 2600X and DDR4 (ouch) memory of course, then possibly see what the new Ryzens are like or.... I'll just sit tight and until next year.

For now I could do with a new case and possibly a new PSU as it's at least 6 years old and not sure it'll power the Vega 56 I've just bought.

Back
Top Bottom