• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade itch, am i mad to want an 8600k with new Ryzen around the corner?

Soldato
The weakness with quads even at high clocks is if something starts and uses a core you only have 75% left, two cores then only 50% left. A six or eight core cpu is less impacted by this.

This problem was apparent several years ago when I switched from a dual core to quad core i5-760 on the same motherboard. It made a huge difference. As did my upgrade from the now overclocked i5-760 to a Ryzen 1700 last year.

Soldato
Really? is 5.8Ghz the normal for them 24/7? is it?

No, 5.2 maybe, the 7700K is 5Ghz, once you start getting into those numbers 200Mhz makes no difference, its 4%, its why i don't overclock my 1070, 1900Mhz vs 2000Mhz makes no difference.

Pushing into the mid 5Ghz's levels is pretty easy, not sure what the significance of 5.8Ghz is, but pair a 7760x with an Nvidia card and you will see good numbers in DX11.

Soldato
Pushing into the mid 5Ghz's levels is pretty easy, not sure what the significance of 5.8Ghz is, but pair a 7760x with an Nvidia card and you will see good numbers in DX11.
Mid-5 GHz is easy? I'd love to see evidence of this. They are on essentially the same process as Coffee Lake, where low-5 GHz is the norm.

Permabanned
Thats complete and utter nonsense.

I'm running the cheapest ram i could get a hold of (16GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz) £180, and the cheapest B350 motherboard i could get a hold of, ASRock AB350 Pro 4 (£75) i set the XMP profile and selected 3000Mhz, it took 10 seconds and has been running 100% stable since i set it like that.

The Ram thing was an issue very early on, with it being a brand new architecture, Ryzen had exactly the same problems Intel had with X99 which was their first adventure with DDR4. everyone seems to have forgotten about Intel nightmares with DDR4.

At this point all you do is update the BIOS on your new board, if its an old one, set your ram to its rated speed and away you go, that's it.
3000??? Well thats pathetictry 3466 like most of us on OCN. And what overclock You have on CPU ??

imc.png

I score around 1840-1830 in CB15

Last edited:
Caporegime
not pushing the limit like me then. Total max what can my chip do is 3.950 + 3466cl15. No stability pass those.

What volts?

Also, this motherboard doesn't let Ram over volts, it has that option but doesn't stick, at least since BIOS 3.20, apparently its a bug with this board, a bug they ain't fixing, i have seen mods in the ASRock forum say people shouldn't complain because its a very inexpensive board with lost of features, can't argue with that but its telling, i think they think they made this board a bit too much board for the money, SoC volts are also locked but the BIOS sets those to 1.11v anyway so i'm not worried about that.

There are also several other options related to ram that are there but don't stick since the new BIOS, i think they are scaling back its features in this way.

If i get Ryzen 2 i might also go for a Gigabyte board, more expensive but apparently very good.

Despite all this ASRock post production board gimping i'm still happy with it.

New Avatar, i didn't do it, is that automatic these days?

Permabanned
What volts?

Also, this motherboard doesn't let Ram over volts, it has that option but doesn't stick, at least since BIOS 3.20, apparently its a bug with this board, a bug they ain't fixing, i have seen mods in the ASRock forum say people shouldn't complain because its a very inexpensive board with lost of features, can't argue with that but its telling, i think they think they made this board a bit too much board for the money, SoC volts are also locked but the BIOS sets those to 1.11v anyway so i'm not worried about that.

There are also several other options related to ram that are there but don't stick since the new BIOS, i think they are scaling back its features in this way.

If i get Ryzen 2 i might also go for a Gigabyte board, more expensive but apparently very good.

SV12 under IBT maximum after Vdrop is 1.391 soc 1.05 pll 0.855 ddrs got 1.415.

Soldato
What volts?

Please don't take this the wrong way but you have already got an asrock board with ryzen 1. Now you are talking about getting a giga board with ryzen 2.
Both options will be inferior for gaming than the 8600k/8700k yet you will probably be spending more/the same in the end.
I know you have a dislike for intel lately but the above doesn't make much sense.

Caporegime
Please don't take this the wrong way but you have already got an asrock board with ryzen 1. Now you are talking about getting a giga board with ryzen 2.
Both options will be inferior for gaming than the 8600k/8700k yet you will probably be spending more/the same in the end.
I know you have a dislike for intel lately but the above doesn't make much sense.

Gaming isn't the only thing that matters to me, the 1600 is faster than an 8600K even OC vs overclock and an 8700K is little different for vastly more money.

Soldato
Gaming isn't the only thing that matters to me, the 1600 is faster than an 8600K even OC vs overclock and an 8700K is little different for vastly more money.
Choosing a motherboard always scares me, especially as I intend to keep it for a long time. They always seem to have annoying niggles and none is perfect.

Associate
If you really dont want to wait, Ryzen, it's a no brainer. The i5 is the stupidest purchase, even for gamers, as future gaming goes towards higher thread usage, and those 6 threads of the i5's is nonsense. Yeah, you'll maybe get 10-12 fps more with the i5 , from a game which will already run at 100+ fps considering your CPU is your bottleneck coz you're using an overclocked 1080ti on 1080p...you see where I'm going ? The marginal and somewhat artificial fps advantage the i5 has (on certain non GPU bound scenarios, with an already high fps) is the dumbest reason to get an i5, IMO at least. Specially considering the fact it has anti future proofing due to the 6 threads. If you would have asked about the i7 8700k , that's a completely different animal, than its a valid dilemma . the i5 though....meh, just a stupid purchase with the availability of zen IMO.
Memory is not an issue....just get a stick with a Samsung b-die and you're golden. I'm running a ****** old micron b die (2400mhz cl17) which are such a crappy binned sticks (got them for free) I didnt have any hopes. Just so you'll understand, it's rated at 1.2v and any voltage above 1.35 just makes the stick go haywire, so I can't even overvolt it aggressively to compensate. With latest bios updates and platform maturation I'm actually running it at 2666 with really nice primary, secondary and tertiary timings. Brought my cinabench score up around 15 points. Just get a zen+ and a Samsung bdie, a nice mobo with good vrms, and that's it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ingames what you have is stil faster why would you upgrade ? the only reason is for multitasking.that is it.see many in here as normal have no idea.four core still cover most bases never mind 6 with almost 5ghz speed lol.by the time you need 8 or more at high 4 or 5ghz you will be two or 3 cpus on from now.

the new ryzens are 3 percent quicker than older ryzen on single thread.in general ryzens in gaming are min 10-15 percent behind what is out now ! so they still slower than any new intel i5/i7 in games.the multithreaded is up though.over old ryzen.still behind in all popular games though.so if you going to go for the new ryzens you doing it because you either on old platform.you on a ryzen platform and just wanna upgrade cpu or you use the multithreaded capability.not soley for gaming.there is the i5 and i7 intel for that.

Back
Top Bottom