• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade my 980 to a ti now or wait ?

Associate
New monitor definitely.

1440p will look significantly better than your current monitors and the 980 will still perform good enough to keep you satisfied.

Upgrading your 980 won't actually give you any real visual treat. You will get a higher framerate but since you are maxing your games anyway I doubt you could honestly be that excited by it.

The jump to 1440p or 4k is far more satisfying. You will feel a significant change for your money.

Associate
New monitor definitely.

1440p will look significantly better than your current monitors and the 980 will still perform good enough to keep you satisfied.

Upgrading your 980 won't actually give you any real visual treat. You will get a higher framerate but since you are maxing your games anyway I doubt you could honestly be that excited by it.

The jump to 1440p or 4k is far more satisfying. You will feel a significant change for your money.

This, higher framerate but 1440P is the sweet spot for gaming imo and a 980 should do fine on most games

Associate
One nice thing is that a new monitor can inspire you to change your desk layout or make a little colour or style scheme. Maybe buy yourself a new mouse and keyboard to compliment it, or a new mouse mat or monitor stands. That way when you have spent money and had a tinker you can sit back and look at a slick setup too.

Associate
OP
The trouble i have now is that M i buying 1440 too late ? Will i be wantinga 4k monitor in a year? If im gunna spend big bucks on a new monitor do i just bite the bullet now and get a 4k one ?

How does a 4k monitor display 1440? Good bad ? I guess this may reflect ehat i get. Is the jump from 1080 to 1440 that different ? I kinda feel im not getting the best if im buying a 1440 but i dont know enough about monitors, im happy to spend the extra on a 4k if it will suit my pc well. My concern is it willstruggle to run games on decent settings.

Associate
If you get a 27" 4k monitor it's going to look the exact same displaying 1440p as it would on a native 1440p 27" monitor.

I personally don't like 4k - I tried it for a month, didn't like it and went elsewhere. I cannot recommend Ultrawide enough from my personal perspective; but I do understand not everybody agrees with this.

If you get a native 1440p display, you can get fancy specs such as G Sync, IPS and 144Hz without it costing a bomb... Unless you get all of them of course :) - This is quite limited in the 4k space as there are not many which have more than one of these features, and 144Hz isn't possible at 4k.

Associate
For me 28" 4k was not big enough to appreciate 4k so i went with a 32" one with low input lag. You can then make custom resolutions if you you like to increase fps in the short term. 3248 x 1827 makes a 16:9 image with black borders around making it the size of a 27" monitor or 3840 x 1825 makes a 21:10 superwide image with again 27" height. The pixel density at these resolutions is very high and still big enough and still no need for AA. Another option is 3840 x 1610 which makes it proper 21:9 superwide and the height of the image equals a 24" monitor. As you can tell 32" makes the most sense to me. It's future proof 4k and is big enough for custom res while retaining great image sizes all without the need for AA. Plus these custom resolutions are still 1:1 pixel so no nasty scaling involved.

The highest short term fps option is 2864 x 1611 which equals a 24" monitor in 1:1 pixel image. The amount of pixels to drive is 4,613,904. For comparison 1440p is 3,686,400 and 21:9 superwide 3440 x 1440 is 4,953,600 and 1600p is 4,096,000.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Choices ! Now im not sure what to go for lol. The thought of 4k is cool and i guess it is a little more future proof. However a 27inch 1440 with Gsync seems like a more sensible choice for now. I think i need to see both to decide. If i go 4k im assuming that sli 980 wont help that much due to vram limitations.

Ultrawide does seem appealing but im guessing a lot of games done support it ? do the actually give you a better FOV ?

Associate
Yes with ultrawide you see extra graphics to the left and right over 16:9 but the vertical graphics are just the same so it obviously takes more to drive that resolution for example 3440 x 1440 over 2560 x 1440.

32" 4k is a must for me but 27" 1440p is fine as you need it smaller to hide the lower PPI, you can get away with no AA on both at the correct distance. I'm not bothered about g-sync for the price and yes i have tried it. Another option is 25" 1440p, Dell make a good one, nice PPI will look nice and is cheaper than 32" 4k and easier to drive.

I know how hard it can be i have gone though so many monitors this last year and a half.

If you can avoid SLI. I gave up and am now on a single after market 980 ti.

Associate
OP
I have managed to avoid SLI so far, I have just always got the Best single card option i can find in budget. if im going to go to a single monitor then i want really 27" but i sit fairly close (2 feet away) so i think 32" is just going to be a little bit too large. I guess i need to start making some cardboard monitors so a size check :D

Associate
I sit 2ft from my 32" and it seems fine to me, 28" 4k was not enough to appreciate the extra detail for me. Are you bothered about g-sync or are you okay with tearing ? 144 hz monitors tearing is not as noticable when running at 144hz even if the fps is between 60-70fps. One option to consider is the upcoming Acer 3440 x 1440, IPS, curved, 100hz and g-sync, that covers all bases apart from 4k. If you run the games in normal 1440p for now with the 980 and change to the wider aspect when you upgrade your gpu.

The one thing i love about a 4k screen is not having to worry about any AA as most of it is either blurry, low quality or knackers fps in games. Injector high quality SMAA hardly ever works on new titles now for whatever reasons which is annoying as i used to use that a lot when using 1440p.

I just tried my monitor upscaling 1440p on the witcher 3 and as long as you use nvidia CP FXAA and turn on a setting on my monitor to improve scaling quality a touch it looks jaggy free and really quite nice, without NCP FXAA it got a few jaggies but it still looks nice. Obviously the clarity is less but the scaling quality of the panel seems very good.

Associate
I sat around 70-90 cm away from my monitor depending on how I was sat (yes, I slouch a lot.) - I still found myself moving my head around a lot on a 27" 4k monitor, 32" would be absolutely massive and I couldn't comprehend it for how close I sometimes sit.

You could always take the hit on a 4k monitor, see if you like it, and if you don't, return it under CCR - You could be hit with a small restocking fee depending on where you buy it from though.

Up to you, really. 1440p with bells and whistles or a plain-ish 4k monitor!

Associate
OP
I have never had G-sync so i guess i wont miss it...

I really think 32" is going to be too big. and by the sounds of it 27" 4k is a waste of time so im kinda thinking that 27" 1440 is a happy medium and i wont loose to many FPS. I have yet to see a G-sync monitor in action so cannot comment on that at all, I have seen so many varies reviews from people from amazing to i cant see any difference. 144hz would be nice but im guessing the tearing will be awful at 50-60fps ?

Associate
what is this 4k2k ? seems quite cheap if its actually 4k & G-sync or am i missing somthing ?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

It's a 28" TN 4k g-sync one. I've got one too. It's not bad but it looks very bland and cheap, defo not a looker. It does the job, low lag, good response times with no overshoot, great colours and good gamma, matte screen.
I just prefer IPS for 60hz and better looks, thin bezel, larger panel, plus a square/oblong flat stand so my keyboard can rest on the front nicely.

Associate
If you like the IPS 32" 4k panels but you want 27" screen size why not try a 32" panel like i said before but run it at 3248 x 1827 then you will get a 27" screen with black borders but at a higher than 1440p res but less demanding than 4k. As your gpu's get better you have the option to expand the width with the same height to 21:10 3840 x 1825 and have a middle superwide res. I presume you want a high quality monitor to keep a while and will perhaps upgrade to pascal next year. You can't upgrade a 1440p panels res and it's too small and low res to do superwide custom res so you might find you want to buy another monitor again. It's not like 1440p g-sync monitors are much cheaper than a good 32" 4k unless of course you count my Asus which was £950.

Associate
OP
If you like the IPS 32" 4k panels but you want 27" screen size why not try a 32" panel like i said before but run it at 3248 x 1827 then you will get a 27" screen with black borders but at a higher than 1440p res but less demanding than 4k. As your gpu's get better you have the option to expand the width with the same height to 21:10 3840 x 1825 and have a middle superwide res. I presume you want a high quality monitor to keep a while and will perhaps upgrade to pascal next year. You can't upgrade a 1440p panels res and it's too small and low res to do superwide custom res so you might find you want to buy another monitor again. It's not like 1440p g-sync monitors are much cheaper than a good 32" 4k unless of course you count my Asus which was £950.

Stop giving me so many options ;)

I think tbh i need to try a 32" on my desk and see how it goes. I do have a Large desk (about 5 foot wide) maybe as mentioned i should order a 32" set it up try it and if i dont like is send it back under DSR ? I do like the idea of going 4K im just really worried that my rig wont cope at that res. TBH i dont really want to spend much more than £600 on one.

Back
Top Bottom