Upgrade or New Build? ~£2k

Soldato
Needs have changed somewhat and no longer need portability (I've got a gaming laptop for that now), just need a larger case with more room, currently got a Corsair Air 240 but looking at the "Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass Mid Tower Case". Main uses are recording console game footage, streaming and gaming.

Haven't really paid much attention to components since I did this build so I'm very out of the loop (hence the thread!), but having had a bit of a look around the 5820K still seems to be pretty decent? I've never overclocked mine, it's always been at stock as I've being trying to keep temps/fan speeds low but definitely open to trying it!

So I'm currently undecided, do I go with a new X99 ATX Motherboard and stick with the 5820K or go with a new CPU? Thinking that a M2 SSD would be a good idea, the GTX 980s run a little hot and I've had the odd issue with SLI so wouldn't mind switching them both for a single more powerful card. 32GB of RAM would be nice, other than that happy to keep the rest of the components and move them to the new case!

Can spend up to £2,000 on this (That includes the case as I haven't purchased it yet)

Current specs:

Case : Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 White
Processor : Intel i7 5820K 3.3GHz 6 Core
Motherboard : EVGA X99 Micro
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Graphics : 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB in 2-way SLI
SSD : Corsair Force Series LX 512GB SATA 3
HDDs : 2x 3TB Toshiba 3.5" SATA 3 in RAID 1
CPU Cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Power Supply : Corsair HXi Series HX1000i 1000W
Screens : 2x Asus ROG Swift 27" G-SYNC 144Hz 1440p

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing wrong with that at all. All you need to do is get yourself a GTX 1080 or Titan XP and overclock the CPU. Keep everything else, including the case.

Soldato
OP
Nothing wrong with that at all. All you need to do is get yourself a GTX 1080 or Titan XP and overclock the CPU. Keep everything else, including the case.

Thanks for the reply - I do need a new case though! I'm going to need more PCIe slots to accomodate a couple of internal capture cards, which is where I'm undecided whether to stick with X99 with the new motherboard or go for something new.

Back
Top Bottom