Upgrade or replace old system?

Associate
Hi all,

I've got the following system - unfortunately the motherboard doesn't appear to be compatible with the last two Windows 10 upgrades so I'm getting messages that security updates can no longer be applied to it - what's my most cost effective method of getting it up to date?
It's connected to a 40 inch 4k TV which it currently has no problems running at full res at in my main games but I expect it'd struggle with new titles (I tend to play MMOs mostly).

Fractal Design Define R3 Low Noise Case - Black Pearl - USB 3.0 Edition 1
Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.7GHz
Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
GeForce GTX 1070
240GB Mushkin Chronos Solid State Drive
2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
OCZ StealthXstream 2 700W PSU
Windows 10 Professional

As you can see it's quite an old system but its very quiet and meets my current gaming requirements. I suspect the problem with Windows 10 is the motherboard - whenever I try to do a fresh install it completes with no errors but won't boot - says there's a bad or missing winitp.sys.
I'm a big fan of the R3 case - my second system has a tempered glass window and leds etc but I prefer the clean lines of the the R3.

So is it worth updating this box or should I scavenge the graphics card from it replace the OS and use it as a back up instead of the other machine?

My budget is about £1500 max but would prefer less (just checked the receipt and the above machine cost £1200 new with a different data HD and graphics card). I probably won't change the graphics card unless there's a major reason to (it looks like a really bad time to buy either RAM or a GPU atm..)

Thanks

Associate
If Windows 10 has issue with specific drivers for certain bits of hardware on your motherboard then you could go into your BIOS and disable them. Does it state what it doesn't like specifically? I.E. if it doesn't like the on board audio you can disable it, then it may let you upgrade. If you're lucky you could then enable it again and have it working, or if not buy a sound card.
It might even be something you don't use like firewire or extra SATA ports on a different host chip that it has issue with. If you're unlucky its the sata ports you are booting from.
I have older systems that don't have an issue updating - e.g. a Q6600, so its got to be something silly stopping it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply MrBaz - unfortunately it doesn't give any info other than bad or missing xxxx.sy (its inititp.sys or something similar but I can't remember off hand) I'm guessing it's something to do with the inbuilt network card but don't have any more info - It works fine on the version of W10 I've got (its the one before Anniversary I think). it just crashes as soon as it reboots after install and I have to reload my disc image / back up to recover. I suppose if I have time one weekend I can disable networking and see if it'll get through - annoying that the system works fine until the update is applied (both anniversary and fall updates give the same problem).

Soldato
is your system able to boot fro USB, i have had issues with the DVD image of 10 , playing up and installs not working to well, USB one always works fine. It doenst help, but i have an i5 3570s, on pc in my living room and thats working fine on windows 10

Associate
OP
I've clean installed via usb loads of times but it won't start up once it gets to the final reboot - I've made several different start up usbs including rufus and Microsoft's own and they all fail after install - I'm guessing that they don't have the correct drivers for some critical system and it fails to start. Repair doesn't help so I'm forced to recover my system image (which works flawlessly). I've looked on the internet and can't find an answer (after the first fail I was expecting to have to side load some drivers or something to get it running but can't find any info on what drivers if any I would need).

Thanks for the help - any and all advice welcome :)

Man of Honour
W10 is still compatible with Z77 platform. I'm running a 3770k + 1080ti with win 10 pro and all the updates install fine.
Either it's a botched windows install or there's some hardware not quite compatible with win10

Soldato
Really weird that Google doesn't find anything for that bad/missing file...
No wonder it's missing when even Internet doesn't know about it. :p

That cheap capacitor medieval design PSU could certainly do junking and replacing with actually something about modern.

Associate
OP
W10 is still compatible with Z77 platform. I'm running a 3770k + 1080ti with win 10 pro and all the updates install fine.
Either it's a botched windows install or there's some hardware not quite compatible with win10

Tried installing from several different usbs and onto a clean ssd so I’m guessing its hardware related but theres not a lot in the box. None of its unusual.
To be honest I might as well take the opportunity to update it all..

So what is a good build for £1200-1500 guys?

Man of Honour
clean ssd
i wonder if it's your mushkin ssd...sandforce controllers don't play well sometimes and have compatibility issues.

but if you must upgrade...
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,451.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)

drop down to a 1070ti for £70 less. but you'd lose ~3-5% fps.
in the grand scheme of things, the 1080 would be my choice with your budget imo

edit: nvm you already have a 1070. just pop it in lol. if you're reusing your 2tb hdd too.
that's a full build for £800.

Soldato

Haha, big budget , thought why not ! not gonna lie, having 2x 500GB NVMe and a TB SSD is great full for installing my whole steam library before 2nd child came along.
then never being able to play them... But I have plenty of storage space left to download all the games over last year I bought on steam sale.... That I can't play yet... ;(

Associate
OP
LOL if I was going to spend £600 on a component I’d grab a 1080
Think I’m gonna build something using the 1070 in a plain case like the R5. All my pcs are under a large desk so no point having a windowed case.
Guess I’m going to have to think about AMD this time round judging by the build further up (I guess in my head I was thinking bout a more modern i5 but the Ryzen chips look good value for money (out of touch with what the current best price : performance items are). I want something that will offer a noticeable improvement at 4K thna my current rig with space to inprove via a new GPU etc in the future.

Back
Top Bottom