Upgrade path help!?

Associate
Hey Guys,

so my current system was bought on the 8th of July 2015 (had to check my order history!:) and I added the G-Sync monitor later)the spec is as follows...
Case - NZXT H440 Black/Red
CPU/MOBO - Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle
CPU COOL - Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer AIO CPU Cooler - 240mm
GFX CARD - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM - TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
SSD - 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD.
M2 SSD - 1TB 970 Evo (Not added to this build atm but is brand new and able to be installed.)
PSU - XFX XTR 850W '80 Plus Gold' Fully Modular Power Supply
-MONITORS-
MAIN MON - Acer Predator XB271HU G-Sync, 165hz, 1440p, IPS
2ND MON - Dell Ultrasharp U2515H 1440p.

Could somebody define me a decent upgrade path? I'm assuming obviously monitors, CPU cooler, SSD's, and case can stay (unless there's a prettier tempered glass one kicking around?) and then maybe CPU/MOBO/RAM would need to be replaced all at once? and then GFX can be upgraded individually?

anybody throw me out some recommendations of a high end card to max out with my system setup, I don't really have any desire for 4K gaming happy at 1440p, games I play can range anything from the new Call of duty, to CS:GO, PUBG, Fortnite, Rainbow Six to higher end AAA titles so I'm really open to suggestion on what you guys think the best upgrade path is or whether you think my system is just fine as is?

I wasn't sure if my GFX card/CPU were getting a little dated being bought 5 years ago?

Soldato
Hold off till next year and you'll find Ryzen 4000 available, as well as new Nvidia and AMD GPUs. Yes, there's always something better on the horizon but if your system isn't struggling, or much, then best to wait another 6 months or so. That's still a decent system.

The cooler will probably not have mounting for AM4 socket (if you go with AMD AM4). Arctic might be able to send you mounting for it if you ask them, don't know.

Soldato
Am i right in the upgrade path though gfx card first then cpu ram mobo together or other way around?

I'm pretty much in the same boat - 4770K and GTX 1070 (which performs similarly to 980Ti), and unfortunately from what I'm seeing, I reckon both will have to be upgraded at the same time, because a more powerful GPU will take the 4770K/4790K to the limit. It'll depend on the games and resolution of course but that's my feeling in general from observing CPU usage etc. I say unfortunately but if it had been a 4670K/4690K I would have had to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM already, so these four core/eight threads have done well providing a bit more headroom.

Associate
OP
I'm pretty much in the same boat - 4770K and GTX 1070 (which performs similarly to 980Ti), and unfortunately from what I'm seeing, I reckon both will have to be upgraded at the same time, because a more powerful GPU will take the 4770K/4790K to the limit. It'll depend on the games and resolution of course but that's my feeling in general from observing CPU usage etc. I say unfortunately but if it had been a 4670K/4690K I would have had to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM already, so these four core/eight threads have done well providing a bit more headroom.

ah thats unfortunate in the meantime may move to a new case, then await the new kit for a GFX/CPU/MOBO/RAM full upgrade. :)

Soldato
Your spec is identical to mine (bear with). I have a 4790k running at 4.7ghz and recently upgraded from a 980Ti to a 2070 Super. I would 100% suggest you push an overclock (if you don't have one). I only really play destiny 2 but at 1440p/144hz, my CPU only hits 65% usage with my GPU in the late 90s. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading until the new year, although I could probably get away with waiting for AM5 at this rate.

Associate
OP
Your spec is identical to mine (bear with). I have a 4790k running at 4.7ghz and recently upgraded from a 980Ti to a 2070 Super. I would 100% suggest you push an overclock (if you don't have one). I only really play destiny 2 but at 1440p/144hz, my CPU only hits 65% usage with my GPU in the late 90s. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading until the new year, although I could probably get away with waiting for AM5 at this rate.
am I right in thinking my Mobo doesn't support the full speed of the 970 Evo I have? I need to get the evo installed really not bothered with it at all yet its just clipped in! not sure if I need a bios update to get it working or what?

Never really played around with overclocking at all tbh always been too fearing of it all, is it a hard process to do? any tutorial kicking about anywhere?

Soldato
am I right in thinking my Mobo doesn't support the full speed of the 970 Evo I have? I need to get the evo installed really not bothered with it at all yet its just clipped in! not sure if I need a bios update to get it working or what?

Never really played around with overclocking at all tbh always been too fearing of it all, is it a hard process to do? any tutorial kicking about anywhere?

I'm not 100% on the Evo but with my M2 installed, I've not noticed any performance issues.

Regarding the overclock, it was pretty simple to be honest. Mine has been running at 4.7ghz since I bought it about 4 years ago and its been solid. It's dead easy and these are the settings that I've used:
  • CPU multiplyer x45
  • Load line calibration = High
  • CPU voltage (in offset) = +0.020
  • CPU Current capability = 120%
  • Phase Control = Extreme
  • VTT = 1 notch over stock
That was all I did and it's totally worth it. You'll get a better gaming experience and lower usage, so it'll last you a good few more years easily.

Associate
OP
I'm not 100% on the Evo but with my M2 installed, I've not noticed any performance issues.

Regarding the overclock, it was pretty simple to be honest. Mine has been running at 4.7ghz since I bought it about 4 years ago and its been solid. It's dead easy and these are the settings that I've used:
  • CPU multiplyer x45
That was all I did and it's totally worth it. You'll get a better gaming experience and lower usage, so it'll last you a good few more years easily.
I more meant like a guide of where those settings are I assume in the BIOS? and anyway I can do a test on them? I moved from using the air cooler I had to a front mounted AIO arctic rad as I was having airflow issues a while back hah!

Associate
OP

• CPU multiplyer x45

Do I need to freshly install windows to my 970 evo instead of just data migrationing it from samsung software? I can see the drive in disk management, I can see the drive when in windows, and I have just migrated all my stuff over to it but when I go in my BIOS I can't change over to using that drive I don't get why or what I can do to make it work ive tried everything!

I've just flashed and upgraded my bloody motherboard bios from F6 to F8 to see if this would help and it hasn't lol! its a z97x g1 gaming 7 board if that helps at all and a samsung 970 evo 1TB? and coming from an 850 EVO 1TB

Soldato
Do I need to freshly install windows to my 970 evo instead of just data migrationing it from samsung software? I can see the drive in disk management, I can see the drive when in windows, and I have just migrated all my stuff over to it but when I go in my BIOS I can't change over to using that drive I don't get why or what I can do to make it work ive tried everything!

I've just flashed and upgraded my bloody motherboard bios from F6 to F8 to see if this would help and it hasn't lol! its a z97x g1 gaming 7 board if that helps at all and a samsung 970 evo 1TB? and coming from an 850 EVO 1TB

I would probably do a fresh install if its a new drive, or clone it. I don't think you can just 'move' the folders as it has to create an MBP as part of the boot process during install. An install won't take long though, win7 & 10 take like 20-25 mins to install.

Associate
OP
I would probably do a fresh install if its a new drive, or clone it. I don't think you can just 'move' the folders as it has to create an MBP as part of the boot process during install. An install won't take long though, win7 & 10 take like 20-25 mins to install.
Yeah it was more the chew of having to re-install it over I migrated the drive with samsung software and managed to somehow get it working don't ask how as I honestly have no clue mobo wouldn't identify it at all upgraded to the latest BIOS. then upgraded to the latest NVME drivers and it seems to be working now.

Soldato
Yeah it was more the chew of having to re-install it over I migrated the drive with samsung software and managed to somehow get it working don't ask how as I honestly have no clue mobo wouldn't identify it at all upgraded to the latest BIOS. then upgraded to the latest NVME drivers and it seems to be working now.

Oh what a result!! At least you have it working.

Associate
OP
Oh what a result!! At least you have it working.

only running slow by the samsung magician performance test though and samsung magician won't identify the drive as a RAPID MODE drive or a samsung drive even though it clearly names it SAMSUNG EVO 970 lol

Associate
OP
Hi guys been a while! just coming back to this I haven't done that overclock still @snips86x but I'm going to get to that next with this lockdown malarkey! my 970 EVO in samsung magician is running at 834mb read and 811mb write speeds, shouldn't it be running much faster than this?

Soldato
Hi guys been a while! just coming back to this I haven't done that overclock still @snips86x but I'm going to get to that next with this lockdown malarkey! my 970 EVO in samsung magician is running at 834mb read and 811mb write speeds, shouldn't it be running much faster than this?

Yes, it should be. Check the controller in the BIOS is set to AHCI and you have no outstanding drivers to be installed within device manager.

Back
Top Bottom