Upgrade - Ryzen 5 / 1060 3G ----> ?

Associate
It's that time of the Dice release cycle where I try and scrape some money together to get 80 FPS or more out of Battlefield, BFV in this case, and post on here (a long way from 1000 posts, sadly).

Current system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: 1060 3G
Mem: 8G DDR4
PSU: 550W PSU (Corsair bronze i think)
Mobo: ASRock AMD AB350

Suggestions on an affordable upgrade? It's currently a middling spec for BFV, so would getting a 1080 / 2070 work, or would the CPU bottleneck first? Also, the PSU might need to be 6-750?

An i7 / mobo / 2070 / PSU would be too much £££, I think.
TIA.

Soldato
It's that time of the Dice release cycle where I try and scrape some money together to get 80 FPS or more out of Battlefield, BFV in this case, and post on here (a long way from 1000 posts, sadly).

Current system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: 1060 3G
Mem: 8G DDR4
PSU: 550W PSU (Corsair bronze i think)
Mobo: ASRock AMD AB350

Suggestions on an affordable upgrade? It's currently a middling spec for BFV, so would getting a 1080 / 2070 work, or would the CPU bottleneck first? Also, the PSU might need to be 6-750?

An i7 / mobo / 2070 / PSU would be too much £££, I think.
TIA.

whats your budget, personally gtx 1070ti - specially if your gaming at 1080p will do the trick- seems its the same price as gtx 1070. Wouln't need to update PSU .

could get VEGA 56 for £370 but might have to check your PSU volts along the 12v rail. if grabbing a more powerful GPU and running at 1080p, turn the ingame resolution up to 1440p to make the game work hard or all the fancy settings :D

and sure 16gb would help

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah yes, budget would be useful. I didn't mention it as I'm not sure. I guess my old GPU would get an ok price elsewhere to help costs.

£400 would be ok, and I can't see how alternative upgrades ie multiple parts would be vaguely close to that , £7-900 I guess.

Memory is £75+ so not so bad. Seems logical.

Soldato
Ah yes, budget would be useful. I didn't mention it as I'm not sure. I guess my old GPU would get an ok price elsewhere to help costs.

£400 would be ok, and I can't see how alternative upgrades ie multiple parts would be vaguely close to that , £7-900 I guess.

Memory is £75+ so not so bad. Seems logical.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £409.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

have you overclocked the CPU ? and you running a 1080p monitor ?

Associate
OP
I should have thought this though more! My current CPU is lightly clocked for stability. And I have this monitor from OC: LG 144Hz Monitor

I get 70-100 FPS with the above spec on BF1. Looking at BFV yesterday it'll struggle so matching that would be ok.

The 2070 would offer RTX but they are nearer £500 at the moment. The power output I think is similar to 1070ti. Hmm.

Soldato
I should have thought this though more! My current CPU is lightly clocked for stability. And I have this monitor from OC: LG 144Hz Monitor

I get 70-100 FPS with the above spec on BF1. Looking at BFV yesterday it'll struggle so matching that would be ok.

The 2070 would offer RTX but they are nearer £500 at the moment. The power output I think is similar to 1070ti. Hmm.

i wouldn't personally spend more due to it being costly for a non G-Sync screen at 1080p and secondly its expensive and CPU will hold it back slightly at 1080p unless you render at a higher res.

i thought BFV was built on the same engine, could understand assets looking nicer as well as battle royale (not of release date) lowering the frames a little but still should be hitting 60 i'd of thought

rtx 2070 will beat 1070ti/1080

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

but again might have to check PSU

Associate
OP
Oooh, threw the Vega in there to confuse me! Freesync would give it a nudge and I'd save some money. That actually makes a lot of sense as it's a better match. Plenty to think about. I'll check the PSU later.

Thanks orbital.

Soldato
Oooh, threw the Vega in there to confuse me! Freesync would give it a nudge and I'd save some money. That actually makes a lot of sense as it's a better match. Plenty to think about. I'll check the PSU later.

Thanks orbital.

no worries, as with all VEGA's... google under volting. amd runs to much volts and heats the card,

you'll be looking for volts across the 12v for your psu .

Associate
OP
no worries, as with all VEGA's... google under volting. amd runs to much volts and heats the card,

you'll be looking for volts across the 12v for your psu .

So check my PSU can handle it - check. It's probably a single rail so check the power is ok? These look like they get hot. I'll probably need an aftermarket cooler on top, so a bit more money. I need a new case, so this might be the time to grab the > Phanteks Enthoo <.

Soldato
So check my PSU can handle it - check. It's probably a single rail so check the power is ok? These look like they get hot. I'll probably need an aftermarket cooler on top, so a bit more money. I need a new case, so this might be the time to grab the > Phanteks Enthoo <.

the GPU ? that cooler should handle it , but increased airflow in the case and fan curve will help . as for the CPU, yes aftermarket one will help achieve higher overclock

excuse the rgb but does come with 4 fans and open front mesh

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...ming-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-03d-kk.html

would cool ryzen 1600 better then stock - hopefully allow you to push 3.9ghz all cores

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-m9a-single-tower-heatsink-for-amd-hs-00b-cy.html

Associate
OP
the GPU ? that cooler should handle it , but increased airflow in the case and fan curve will help . as for the CPU, yes aftermarket one will help achieve higher overclock

excuse the rgb but does come with 4 fans and open front mesh

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...ming-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-03d-kk.html

would cool ryzen 1600 better then stock - hopefully allow you to push 3.9ghz all cores

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-m9a-single-tower-heatsink-for-amd-hs-00b-cy.html

I think the RGB would drive me mad as it point sideways on my desk. Disco with Dice (sounds like their Christmas party).

Again, thanks for the advice. I think the card can go on the credit card and the rest can fall to Santa. Much appreciated.

Soldato
I think the RGB would drive me mad as it point sideways on my desk. Disco with Dice (sounds like their Christmas party).

Again, thanks for the advice. I think the card can go on the credit card and the rest can fall to Santa. Much appreciated.

haha no worries, that phanteks case is cracking mind. good quality and helps its on sale .

kind of a guide line- baring in mind thats an intel 6 core running at a lot faster speed at 1080p so straight away it has 10-20fps advantage

also gtx 1070 is MUCH faster then gtx 1060 3gb version 30-50fps difference

but you should be able to upscale in game to 1440p and still hold 100hz and give the CPU room to catch up

freesync will also catch the max to min frame drops as well - should appear a smooth for you

and you should see performance videos popping up from BFV !

https://www.eteknix.com/battlefield-v-now-playable-origin-access-subscribers/

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thanks for that. I've seen a few vids and 40FPS (ish) seems to be normal, but some of the maps might dip below that. It looks like Rotterdam, even as a city map, performs better. Hopefully driver updates will even that out.

It means I can perhaps wait a few weeks and test myself, but yes, I need that Vega if I wont an ok experience.

Associate
OP
but you should be able to upscale in game to 1440p and still hold 100hz and give the CPU room to catch up

freesync will also catch the max to min frame drops as well - should appear a smooth for you

A few weeks later, and everything up and running. Thoguht I'd drop by to say thanks. The game is running well at ultra with 144hz. Getting 95-110 FPS but I'll play with it some more. I'm sure I can improve that. :D

Back
Top Bottom