Upgrade suggestions from s8

Soldato
Had my s8 since launch and it's been a great phone. Only nit pick being the slow software updates and bloatware really.

After something with a bigger screen really, maybe around 6.5 inch or so, but don't want to spend more than £700.

Was thinking maybe oneplus 7 pro? Although lack of wireless charging is a shame.

Soldato
I'd say the One+ 7 pro. Looks like a really nice phone and though it misses wireless charging it has crazy fast charging available which I think is a fair trade off. Really hope Apple copies the screen in their next phone

Soldato
OP
I'd say the One+ 7 pro. Looks like a really nice phone and though it misses wireless charging it has crazy fast charging available which I think is a fair trade off. Really hope Apple copies the screen in their next phone

I am leaning towards the 7 pro at the moment.

Only downer is the lack of wireless charging. Oh and that pop up camera, but I'd forget that was even there.

Soldato
You can get brand new S10 for under Oneplus 7 Pro value from rainforest Italian site. Well under £600 from grey resellers too, have a look at HotUkDeals website.

Caporegime
That's 100 below his final price drop, doubt he'd take that.

Also, it's used, prefer new.

what you are after doesn't exist not for new anyway. the S8 is till a very high end phone. iirc the S9 only had 1 difference to it. so to upgrade from it brand new is the s10 plus which is £1000 new.

just make the offer it's 6 weeks old and he must be desperate to get something for it. it's been on there for a while now.

Soldato
OP
what you are after doesn't exist not for new anyway. the S8 is till a very high end phone. iirc the S9 only had 1 difference to it. so to upgrade from it brand new is the s10 plus which is £1000 new.

just make the offer it's 6 weeks old and he must be desperate to get something for it. it's been on there for a while now.

Maybe I'll drop him an offer.

The s10 plus superior to the 7 pro you think?

Soldato
Not the plus though :(

I'm after a big screen this time.

Ah well to get Plus version near OP7 Pro money, you either need to go grey importers (£578 for S10+ Exynos version) or go second hand. The red high street that rhymes with sex has A condition ones from £640.

Biggest things S10+ has over OP7 Pro is wireless charging (including reverse charge), headphone jack and expandable storage. Arguably better selfie camera too as it has a depth sensor and you can judge the rear camera comparison yourself with a few Youtube videos. OP has that real infinity display with no cutouts and the smooth 90Hz (panel made by Samsung btw) and appears to be faster than Samsung in benchmarks, although day to day real usage might not be that different.

Soldato
OP
Camera isn't a biggie for me really, as long as it's decent.

I don't quite get the clamour for the best smart phone camera to be honest. If taking pictures is that important, you'll have a proper camera.

What about the Samsung A70? The A-range is the new middle to high end range from Samsung. The A70 has 6.7" screen, so a bit bigger than the Pro 7 and costs £370 from the Three shop. Plus it keeps the big battery, SD slot, 3mm headphone jack and USB C.

Soldato
OP
What about the Samsung A70? The A-range is the new middle to high end range from Samsung. The A70 has 6.7" screen, so a bit bigger than the Pro 7 and costs £370 from the Three shop. Plus it keeps the big battery, SD slot, 3mm headphone jack and USB C.

A70 looks ok to be honest, but it's plastic in construction and the specs aren't fantastic.

I tend to keep my phones at least 2 years, so want a good spec.

Still leaning towards the OP 7 pro at the moment. Just trying to decide if i can do without wireless charging.

Last edited:
Soldato
A70 looks ok to be honest, but it's plastic in construction and the specs aren't fantastic.

I tend to keep my phones at least 2 years, so want a good spec.

Still leaning towards the OP 7 pro at the moment. Just trying to decide if i can do without wireless charging.

I went from a s8 plus to a70 much better phone as far as I am concerned.. If it's plastic I cannot really tell but I always keep my phones in a case anyway I want them to survive a drop.. Battery life is amazing

Back
Top Bottom