Upgrade time

Associate
This is my first build and I think it is time to give it an upgrade, especially as I have knocked console gaming on the head.

I am guessing I have around £800 to £900 (not inc VAT as I do not pay VAT) to play with.

Firstly this is where I am:

Currently a NZXT S340 case but I am getting a H500 (not including in budget)
i5 6600k
Artic Freezer 7 Pro
Asus Z170p
Hyper X Fury DDR4 RAM 4 x 4gig
EVGA Geforce GTX980 SC
EVGA 650w G2 Gold 80+
I have 2 SSDs one for a boot and one for games and a HDD which I use a a secondary backup for my photos.

I already have monitor, keyboard, mouse and headphones.

If I am honest performance is not a hindrance as I currently play at 1080p but I am thinking of moving to 1440p and 4K down the road. I would say the computer is looking old compared to newer builds I am seeing and for me that is half the appeal of PC gaming, having a nice looking machine on the desk.

Ideally I would like an AIO CPU cooler. Happy to salvage the RAM and power supply but the chip, board, cooler and GPU are at your mercy. I would also like some quieter fans is possible as I find my current NZXT fans are noisy. More than happy with RGB too.

One other thing, when I do upgrade my kit do I need to re purchase Windows?

What would you guys suggest. I would hope that this will be an upgrade to last maybe 2 years at most before having to rething an upgrade.

Thanks

Soldato

Great build, however as he said a 2 year upgrade cycle would the 2600 be a better bet, with a faster GPU like the 5700XT/2060 Super for really nice 1440p? There are laces selling the R5 2600 from £99-109, so that extra £80 would almost cover the GPU upgrade. Also need to lose the VAT so that's another ~£150, so I guess you could keep the R5 3600 and up spec the monitor as well. Just a thought! :)

@orbitalwalsh It's a bit of a merry-go-round one place increase the price while other drop them, I guess it will sort itself out once the demand drops off for them, after all it's only been 9 days since Ryzen 3xxx launch. :)

Soldato
@Journey I just cant wait for 2020 ! this year has been the cusp ( and amd stocks have lined my fathers pension fund haha) but next year will change everything . so looking forward to 7nm EUV vs 10nm !!

and then intel doing multicore GPU tech before the others . things really have been turned on their heads haha!

been looking at RX5700 under water with tweaks ! SUCH GOOD PERFORMANCE . AMD GPU practice must change and allow AIB to release models quicker ! worked for Vega giving them higher profits but RX is weak against Super AIB cards

good shout on 2600- didnt even think of that, specially if it means pushing 1440p gaming with a little future thinking !

Associate
OP
I am back again and ready to buy, however some requirements have changed.

I would like to make this a MATX build within the Fractal Design Meshify C mini ATX case using 3 120 addressable RGB fans and 2 140 addressable RGB fans.The Fans I am thinking of are Deepcool CF120 and CF140's

How does the below look (note I already have a power supply, SSD's and peripherals), I am really confused about RGB headers and if they will work with the fans.

Am I going completly wrong with this build?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £909.37 (includes shipping: £10.25)

Back
Top Bottom