Upgrade to 4K, yes or no?

Soldato
I am expecting to upgrade my 2080Ti GPU sometime this year probably to a 3080 and was wondering if upgrading my current monitor, Acer Predator XB321HKbmiphz 32 Inch to a 4K would be warranted if I did?

Associate
I am expecting to upgrade my 2080Ti GPU sometime this year probably to a 3080 and was wondering if upgrading my current monitor, Acer Predator XB321HKbmiphz 32 Inch to a 4K would be warranted if I did?

edit: posted first without text..doh!

Hi,

What do you use your pc for? if games, what type? And, what sort of spender are you? If money is tight at all then 4K is not worth it unless its for your job. Otherwise it's a total luxury. (i have the lg 27gn950).

For gaming, the improvement you can get most out of is fps as I think your current mon is 60Hz. You will love 120+. Some games though (Witcher 3) still don't go over 60FPS (a game set limit, at least for me!)

My kids play First person shooters (fortnight and, now, Star Wars Battlefront 2), and i have a 3090 card. They still don't use 4K for that because it cannot do solid high 144Hz at ultra settings, but they play totally happily on 1440 detail and see no jaggedness.

I use my 4K for work, but only for MS office! i kidded myself that its easier on my eyes but, in reality, it was a vanity purchase I was weak and I got pulled in by the specs (but I'm 50 years old and believe me you can afford such things after working hard in tech for 25+ years!).

So, many factors, but don't go thinking you 'need' a 4k mon unless it's your graphics-job-related and you have young eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes. Big waste having a 60hz 4k screen with a 3080. There are many games that you'll get > 60FPS in at 4k, so it's totally worth it.

I recommend the CX48 if you have enough space ;)

Permabanned
I would choose better frame-rate over number of pixels every time. It's not necessary to go 144Hz, but at least 90Hz is a huge benefit. The 3080 will hit those sorts of frame-rates with many games, so yes, definitely worth it. You could even consider a 38" UW which is 3840x1600, so slightly easier to drive, like say the Alienware DW3821UW.

Associate
I changed from an UW to a x27p. Absolutely love it and for most games i keep it at 98hz unless playing comp fps then I'll boost it to 144hz and adjust settings to suit.

3080 pushes frames at 4k no problem in nearly every game I've played with ultra settings, small handful of games need a small tweak of settings but the visual difference is minimal.

Soldato
OP
Yes. Big waste having a 60hz 4k screen with a 3080. There are many games that you'll get > 60FPS in at 4k, so it's totally worth it.

I recommend the CX48 if you have enough space ;)

Lovely looking monitor but a tad big and a tad expensive.

I would choose better frame-rate over number of pixels every time. It's not necessary to go 144Hz, but at least 90Hz is a huge benefit. The 3080 will hit those sorts of frame-rates with many games, so yes, definitely worth it. You could even consider a 38" UW which is 3840x1600, so slightly easier to drive, like say the Alienware DW3821UW.

Couldn't find the particular monitor you mentioned not sure if it was a typo did find AW3821DW which is a great looking monitor also.

Permabanned
Lovely looking monitor but a tad big and a tad expensive.

Couldn't find the particular monitor you mentioned not sure if it was a typo did find AW3821DW which is a great looking monitor also.

Sorry, yes, that's the one I meant. It's a pretty expensive one, I gather you should be able to get a few hundred off with various coupons and offers. There is a special thread just for that monitor.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, yes, that's the one I meant. It's a pretty expensive one, I gather you should be able to get a few hundred off with various coupons and offers. There is a special thread just for that monitor.
Found the thread but various coupons and offers where should I look for these of is it just a case of keeping and eye on the Dell website?

Permabanned
I would choose better frame-rate over number of pixels every time.

More pixels means higher detail - which means that the games running on 4K look like completely different and new games compared to 1080p or lower resolutions in general.

Also, on such big sizes, not only 4K but you must start thinking about 8K.

Permabanned
Found the thread but various coupons and offers where should I look for these of is it just a case of keeping and eye on the Dell website?

I don't know. People in that thread keep saying they got X off the price, but I have no idea where they got the discount codes.

Associate
Isn't the XB321HK already a 4K monitor?

Soldato
I don't know. People in that thread keep saying they got X off the price, but I have no idea where they got the discount codes.
I think you can call 'em up and ask for a deal then even get more off if you say you want to return after its shipped :p - theres also some codes you can get if you work for certain companies such as NHS.

I tried and they did not give the offer I wanted though so I went for the LG CX instead.

Associate
I changed from an UW to a x27p. Absolutely love it and for most games i keep it at 98hz unless playing comp fps then I'll boost it to 144hz and adjust settings to suit.

3080 pushes frames at 4k no problem in nearly every game I've played with ultra settings, small handful of games need a small tweak of settings but the visual difference is minimal.

I moved to the x27p from a 32" 4k 60Hz. Completely agree about 98Hz being plenty unless you're playing competitively. I can drop down to 8 bit colour for 120Hz, but the difference is much less noticeable in terms of smoothness.

I wasn't sure whether 4k would be overkill on a 27", but the pixel density is incredible.

Soldato
I have been on a 40" 4k screen for years and its epic! However I am now looking at the Asus 43" 4k 144hz.

Big screen gaming with 4k is just insane if you arent playing mad twitch shooters. I would recommend 4k in whatever form, its getting better especially with the new cards/

Soldato
Simple:
After using 2560x1600 monitor for 7 years 2560x1440 would be downgrade and as there aren't high refresh rate 2560x1600 models, 3840x2160 is only one not downgrade.

Associate
I use 4k 60Hz, with a 2080ti, and although it looks great I wish I had went to 1440p, knowing what I know now, until there is a 32" high refresh rate panel (which I am waiting for) to hit the scene I will stick with what I've got, I have contemplated going to 1440p so I can get a better refresh rate
but once your 4k it's hard not to notice. when the panel comes out i will splash the cash for a new gpu and panel.

Back
Top Bottom