• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade to a GTX 1080

Associate
Hi all, my brother in law is wanting to upgrade his GPU to a GTX1080 from a GTX960. My question is, will his Be Quiet pure power 9 600W 80 PLUS SILVER PSU be ok ?

Thanks
Dan

Associate
I would definitely invest in a new PSU with a better efficiency then the one u have.

It will run since it is not drawing much power but you can forget about any overclock on either CPU or the GPU. This may be too much for it.

Upgrade PSU in the nearest future.
It would be good to know what other components does he have before giving you a definite answer.
Card itself draws around 170W from the wall but don't forget it is not he only consumer of power in the PC.

Associate
I would definitely invest in a new PSU with a better efficiency then the one u have.

It will run since it is not drawing much power but you can forget about any overclock on either CPU or the GPU. This may be too much for it.

It would be good to know what other components does he have before giving you a definite answer.
Card itself draws around 170W from the wall but don't forget it is not he only consumer of power in the PC.

Where are you getting your information from?! Why would he need a more efficient PSU?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30

OP it is fine. A full GTX 1080 setup uses 335w

Even when overclocked:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/31

It uses less than 400w total power.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Associate
I said it will run depending what other hardware is powered by the psu. He can have a fridge freezer connected to it you never know :)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-the-80-plus-certification/
Worth reading to understand the psu efficiency. This would clear few things up.
This is why I recommend a future upgrade as he would benefit from it in the long run.

For the time being it is a decent psu

Associate
I said it will run depending what other hardware is powered by the psu. He can have a fridge freezer connected to it you never know :)
This is why I recommend a future upgrade as he would benefit from it in the long run.

How would he connect a fridge freezer too it hahaha...

Op you will be fine don't worry

Associate

Yes I know what PSU efficiency is, but there is simply no reason to change from a silver rated unit to even a titanium rated unit.

The initial purchase price of the PSU will take a long time to be paid back in efficiency savings on your electricity bill.

Man of Honour
The psu will be fine. It's a FSP built unit with dual 12v rails of 32A and 28A allowing a maximum of 552w. A quality 550w psu is more than enough for just about any single gpu pc even with overclocking. The pc in my siggy pulls anything up to 232w at the wall while gaming and even with the GTX1070 heavily overclocked (2152/9914mhz) pulled just under 300w at the wall while benching. Pascal is extremely power efficient.

bru

bru

Soldato
A more efficient PSU is a great idea, if you really need to cut down your electricity bills, as long as you remember not to boil that kettle that extra time, or have the TV on in the background. Super efficient LED lightbulbs throughout the property and never leave a light on that isn't needed.
Oh and yes don't forget about overclocking, as that is a certain nono if you're trying to be energy efficient.

A good quality 600w silver efficiency branded PSU will run anything that good quality 600w titanium+ efficiency branded PSU will, it will just use a dozen kettle boils of electricity more over the coarse of a year.

Bottom line, if your buying a new PSU, then it is a good idea to get the best efficiency that your budget allows, but upgrading from a silver branded unit to better one just for efficiency reasons, is pretty pointless unless there are other reasons to do it.

Soldato

Wrong. Psu will be fine with 1080 and overclock if he wants.

Associate
Minimum requirements i believe is 500W, your hardware well never draw all that power, it worth while investing in a watt meter plug for the sake of £10 nice to know exactly what your machine is drawing at the wall, know for sure then what head room you have for upgrades in the future :)

Associate
Minimum requirements i believe is 500W, your hardware well never draw all that power, it worth while investing in a watt meter plug for the sake of £10 nice to know exactly what your machine is drawing at the wall, know for sure then what head room you have for upgrades in the future :)

AFAIK both nvidia and AMD state higher than necessary to hopefully get users to use quality PSU's.

Back
Top Bottom