Upgrade?

Associate
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice.

My current machine is still running an old i5 2500k overclocked to 4ghz iirc

I think im in that akward position where to upgrade it I would also need to upgrade the motherboard and likely RAM too and before I know it I would be as well building a whole new rig.

While that does sound appealing its not really an option at this moment in time.

How relevant is the 2500k these days? Is it still decent? or has there been a huge improvement in CPU's in that period?

My GPU is a GTX970 which seems okay as I only play at 1080p but do have an Asus VG248QE monitor and hitting 144 FPS is occasionally a bit hit and miss.

Would upgrading to a 1060 or even 1070 if budget allowed be a worthwhile upgrade here or would I end up bottlenecking due to the old components elsewhere?

Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
It depends on what your aim is I guess. Your post implies you want to upgrade your CPU yet you're suggesting a GPU upgrade both despite the fact that "144 FPS is occasionally a bit hit and miss" which suggests to me most of the time you are getting somewhere close to that figure.

If that is the situation I would wait until the next Intel CPUs and then either buy a new i5 or try get a 4670k for cheap. To me it doesn't seem worth a few hundred pounds upgrade just to get 144 FPS 100% of the time.

Associate
OP
It depends on what your aim is I guess. Your post implies you want to upgrade your CPU yet you're suggesting a GPU upgrade both despite the fact that "144 FPS is occasionally a bit hit and miss" which suggests to me most of the time you are getting somewhere close to that figure.

If that is the situation I would wait until the next Intel CPUs and then either buy a new i5 or try get a 4670k for cheap. To me it doesn't seem worth a few hundred pounds upgrade just to get 144 FPS 100% of the time.

Cheers

I was just suggesting the GPU upgrade as an alternative to upgrading all the other components.

The 2500k is socket 1155 and I don't imagine there is anything using that socket version that would be much of an upgrade over the 2500k keeping the same mobo?

Leaving me with the option of either going new cpu/mobo/ram and keeping the gtx 970 or upgrading the gpu on its own and keeping the rest of the components the same.

My main issue at the moment is if there is a lot of action on screen in certain games there is a noticeable drop in FPS which has led to me looking at the best avenue of upgrade to stop this happening

Associate
Cheers

I was just suggesting the GPU upgrade as an alternative to upgrading all the other components.

The 2500k is socket 1155 and I don't imagine there is anything using that socket version that would be much of an upgrade over the 2500k keeping the same mobo?

Leaving me with the option of either going new cpu/mobo/ram and keeping the gtx 970 or upgrading the gpu on its own and keeping the rest of the components the same.

My main issue at the moment is if there is a lot of action on screen in certain games there is a noticeable drop in FPS which has led to me looking at the best avenue of upgrade to stop this happening

Download a program such as MSI Afterburner that will let you look at GPU usage in game and use task manager to do the same with CPU usage and you will be able to see which part needs upgrading the most.

Back
Top Bottom