Upgraded Home Network 2.5Gb for £130

Soldato
Unfortunately most of the affordable (used) 10Gbe stuff doesn't support NBASE-T, so while I agree, you are going to be waiting a while for anything other than desktop/servers to give you a benefit and wifi6 etc. AP's will be capped to 1Gbit which would suck. Also services like VM are going to use NBASE-T as an interim option for at least a few years.

TP-Link (EAP670) and Ubiquiti (U6 Enterprise) both have APs with 2.5Gb uplink ports now.

Soldato
TP-Link (EAP670) and Ubiquiti (U6 Enterprise) both have APs with 2.5Gb uplink ports now.
Not sure my point needed specific model numbers to back it up, but i'll play along... EAP660 HD, WAX610D, WAX630S, WAP581 and EWS850AP.

Point is still that capping AP's to 1Gb isn't a great idea, so it's either 2.5Gbe now and 5Gbe in the future followed by 10Gbe or pay full whack for decent 10Gbe kit now that will support NBASE-T which most of the affordable stuff won't.

Soldato
Not sure my point needed specific model numbers to back it up, but i'll play along... EAP660 HD, WAX610D, WAX630S, WAP581 and EWS850AP.

Point is still that capping AP's to 1Gb isn't a great idea, so it's either 2.5Gbe now and 5Gbe in the future followed by 10Gbe or pay full whack for decent 10Gbe kit now that will support NBASE-T which most of the affordable stuff won't.

I agree with certain model APs being capped at 1Gb not being a good idea.

Not sure if I've missed your original point? I read your earlier post to imply that 2.5Gb APs didn't exist. Maybe I misinterpreted then?

Associate
I wanted an upgrade between my computer and Synology NAS device.

Found a TP Link TL-SH1005 2.5gbps switch from China £80
2x USB 2.5gbps adapters (R8152 compatible with Synology) - £50

Be careful which USB port you connect to, some on my X370 board were only negotiating 1gbps.

So my computer and Synology connect to the switch which then connects to my main router.

image.png

image.png
Hi mate,
what drives are you running in your pc and synology?
looking at doing something similar

Associate
OP
Hi mate,
what drives are you running in your pc and synology?
looking at doing something similar

Really you can do 2.5gbps for £50 with just two of them USB3.0 adapters. Don't really need the switch.

Use the USB <> USB on your main computer and NAS for the quick transfers, assign one IP address on the NAS, set up a share on the main PC direct to it.
Then for other devices just use the Gigabit port on the NAS into your router on a different IP.

I use RAID10 on my NAS for quicker reads and writes. I believe it is the recommended RAID for 4 drives. I have just Western Digital blues and it maxes out the 2.5 Gbps fine. More than 2.5Gbps you would need SSDs so it is perfect for my set up.

When set up like this without the swtich, I also had to make my computers motherboard 1Gbps network adapter the priority metric. As before websites would hang trying to reach them through the USB 2.5gbps adapter.

1Gbps main network adapter - metric 50
2.5 Gbps adapter - metric 100.
Lower metric the greater the priority. So Internet requests work as normal.

image.png

This the driver for my Synology NAS which works perfect with that adapter pictured.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
10GbE is soooooooo old hat. There are at least three people posting on here who have home networks running over 40GbE and I believe one has 100GbE. Just for the ePeen!

Agreed, I really need to get around to putting a 25Gb card in my NAS :D:p

gztyXPD.png

Soldato

I sort-of agree for video creators and enthusiasts.

As far as I’m aware the only semi-affordable 10GbE access point is the UAP-XG (£700) and that only needs it because it has the equivalent of 4 access points in one housing for very high user density environments (the FedExForum for example). And that’s an AC access point.

I’m yet to be convinced that real-world home access points need more than 1GbE ports (today) simply because the 4x4 AX clients still don’t exist. And for most home users 4x4 AC still seems to be where most of the actual use is. Even 4x4 AX won’t saturate a 2.5GbE connection. I’ve had 10GbE at home for at least 5 years but it very Rarely gets used, it’s all e-Peen. And it’s power-hungry and expensive to run.

Given that 4K Netflix is under 200Mbps and gaming isn’t a lot more than that what do most home users really need >1GbE for?

Soldato
Really you can do 2.5gbps for £50 with just two of them USB3.0 adapters. Don't really need the switch.

Use the USB <> USB on your main computer and NAS for the quick transfers, assign one IP address on the NAS, set up a share on the main PC direct to it.
Then for other devices just use the Gigabit port on the NAS into your router on a different IP.

I use RAID10 on my NAS for quicker reads and writes. I believe it is the recommended RAID for 4 drives. I have just Western Digital blues and it maxes out the 2.5 Gbps fine. More than 2.5Gbps you would need SSDs so it is perfect for my set up.

When set up like this without the swtich, I also had to make my computers motherboard 1Gbps network adapter the priority metric. As before websites would hang trying to reach them through the USB 2.5gbps adapter.

1Gbps main network adapter - metric 50
2.5 Gbps adapter - metric 100.
Lower metric the greater the priority. So Internet requests work as normal.

image.png

This the driver for my Synology NAS which works perfect with that adapter pictured.
I thought raid 6 is the best for more than 3 drives?

Soldato
Unfortunately most of the affordable (used) 10Gbe stuff doesn't support NBASE-T, so while I agree, you are going to be waiting a while for anything other than desktop/servers to give you a benefit and wifi6 etc. AP's will be capped to 1Gbit which would suck. Also services like VM are going to use NBASE-T as an interim option for at least a few years.
Why do you need NBASE-T?

You just need your two devices to have a 10gbit nic and plug them together either directly or via a 10gbit switch

Soldato
I sort-of agree for video creators and enthusiasts.

As far as I’m aware the only semi-affordable 10GbE access point is the UAP-XG (£700) and that only needs it because it has the equivalent of 4 access points in one housing for very high user density environments (the FedExForum for example). And that’s an AC access point.

I’m yet to be convinced that real-world home access points need more than 1GbE ports (today) simply because the 4x4 AX clients still don’t exist. And for most home users 4x4 AC still seems to be where most of the actual use is. Even 4x4 AX won’t saturate a 2.5GbE connection. I’ve had 10GbE at home for at least 5 years but it very Rarely gets used, it’s all e-Peen. And it’s power-hungry and expensive to run.

Given that 4K Netflix is under 200Mbps and gaming isn’t a lot more than that what do most home users really need >1GbE for?
For me, I want to be able to dump my 50mp raw file images to a nas and directly work off of the nas when editing these very large raw files.

I wanna do the same on videos too.

And later down the line. I would also if possible install pc games on a nas and load it up from there but use the gpu and cpu grunt on my main desktop pc to play it.

I would just need a tiny pc to house on NVMe drive for installation of windows and software and that's that.

I also want another nas with 10/25gb that will auto backup stuff from the other nas etc.

Basically I want it for transfer speeds and possibly using the nas as scratch disk while working

Soldato
For me, I want to be able to dump my 50mp raw file images to a nas and directly work off of the nas when editing these very large raw files.

I wanna do the same on videos too.

And later down the line. I would also if possible install pc games on a nas and load it up from there but use the gpu and cpu grunt on my main desktop pc to play it.

I would just need a tiny pc to house on NVMe drive for installation of windows and software and that's that.

I also want another nas with 10/25gb that will auto backup stuff from the other nas etc.

Basically I want it for transfer speeds and possibly using the nas as scratch disk while working

Yes, that makes sense. For content creators you need the fastest possible transfer speeds and on massive file sizes you want/need the fastest connections you can get.

Soldato
Why do you need NBASE-T?

You just need your two devices to have a 10gbit nic and plug them together either directly or via a 10gbit switch
Because NBASE-T means everything auto-negotiates and plays nicely together.

In your use-case you only need a DAC or whatever between two devices but ultimately you will want to connect to a wider network and either your 10GbE switch has to be NBASE-T or you’ll need to manually set the speed on an SFP+ RJ45 adaptor (they don‘t auto-negotiate).

Bear in mind this thread is drifting off into wireless access points with NBASE-T functionality. You won’t find one of those with an SFP/SFP+ port.

Soldato
Because NBASE-T means everything auto-negotiates and plays nicely together.

In your use-case you only need a DAC or whatever between two devices but ultimately you will want to connect to a wider network and either your 10GbE switch has to be NBASE-T or you’ll need to manually set the speed on an SFP+ RJ45 adaptor (they don‘t auto-negotiate).

Bear in mind this thread is drifting off into wireless access points with NBASE-T functionality. You won’t find one of those with an SFP/SFP+ port.
I have no problem manually setting up the speeds for 10gb. It's easy from what I saw from one of the network videos on YouTube.

And that's only if your using copper cable as u say. I would use a mixture of cat 8 cable and fibre cables.

There's lots of 10/25gb switch that caters for both ethernet and sfp ports.

Where a long way until even 10gb wireless speeds

Soldato
I have no problem manually setting up the speeds for 10gb. It's easy from what I saw from one of the network videos on YouTube.

And that's only if your using copper cable as u say. I would use a mixture of cat 8 cable and fibre cables.

There's lots of 10/25gb switch that caters for both ethernet and sfp ports.

Where a long way until even 10gb wireless speeds

Again, YOU have no issue manually setting port speeds. Have you seen the literally thousands of posts on UI.com forums where people buy SFP+ RJ45 adaptors and then complain that they have no connection when they hook up a 1GbE cable? Literally thousands of people have an issue. NBASE-T resolves that issue. You plug it in, it auto-negotiates, it works. Whatever you plug in.

And you are correct, there are many switches that (and even some routers) that can do 10GBE, usually through an SFP+ port but sometimes also an NBASE-T port. I don‘t know of any recent 10GbE combi (SFP/SFP+/QSFP with copper RJ45 ports) that are not NBASE-T simply because that’s what the chipsets have built-in.

And 10GbE for WLAN is here now. In high density deployments (stadia, concert halls etc.) you need to be able to transport more traffic than one 1GbE or even aggregated 1GbE connections permit so they need NBASE-T to cover that. There are loads of 2.5GbE access points, at least one 5 GbE access point I’m aware of and a few 10GbE access points. UBNT even built a specific NBASE-T PoE switch (USW-XG-6-PoE) to drive those high density access points.

Soldato
Again, YOU have no issue manually setting port speeds. Have you seen the literally thousands of posts on UI.com forums where people buy SFP+ RJ45 adaptors and then complain that they have no connection when they hook up a 1GbE cable? Literally thousands of people have an issue. NBASE-T resolves that issue. You plug it in, it auto-negotiates, it works. Whatever you plug in.

And you are correct, there are many switches that (and even some routers) that can do 10GBE, usually through an SFP+ port but sometimes also an NBASE-T port. I don‘t know of any recent 10GbE combi (SFP/SFP+/QSFP with copper RJ45 ports) that are not NBASE-T simply because that’s what the chipsets have built-in.

And 10GbE for WLAN is here now. In high density deployments (stadia, concert halls etc.) you need to be able to transport more traffic than one 1GbE or even aggregated 1GbE connections permit so they need NBASE-T to cover that. There are loads of 2.5GbE access points, at least one 5 GbE access point I’m aware of and a few 10GbE access points. UBNT even built a specific NBASE-T PoE switch (USW-XG-6-PoE) to drive those high density access points.
Its not an issue though?

Its people not being bothered to read up on SFP+RJ45 .

At the first post i made on this thread, i had no clue what SFP was to begin with and guess what i did since then? i read up and educated myself on SFP/DAC's etc SFP vs SFP+, fibre OM3/OM4 ,single mode vs multi mode etc etc.

Next up is figuring out how to cut and trim my own length fibre cables if possible hehe and if there are wall mounts for them

Soldato
Its not an issue though?

Its people not being bothered to read up on SFP+RJ45 .

At the first post i made on this thread, i had no clue what SFP was to begin with and guess what i did since then? i read up and educated myself on SFP/DAC's etc SFP vs SFP+, fibre OM3/OM4 ,single mode vs multi mode etc etc.

Next up is figuring out how to cut and trim my own length fibre cables if possible hehe and if there are wall mounts for them
If you’re only doing a few terminations then the tools make it quite expensive. I did the Fibre course at Cable Monkey and I think my toolkit was about £700 on the day and I spent another £4000 on a cheap splicer later on. Which I‘ve probably used twice :roll eyes:. When the Openreach engineer installed our original fibre at home I remember showing him my splicer and he pulled out his £15K splicer and said “nice toy sonny!” Which made me laugh.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube if you can lay your hands on a cleaver. Without a cleaver you can polish the end but that’s for masochists really. It’s usually cheaper to buy pre-made cables, even the custom length ones are usually quite cheap.

Soldato
If you’re only doing a few terminations then the tools make it quite expensive. I did the Fibre course at Cable Monkey and I think my toolkit was about £700 on the day and I spent another £4000 on a cheap splicer later on. Which I‘ve probably used twice :roll eyes:. When the Openreach engineer installed our original fibre at home I remember showing him my splicer and he pulled out his £15K splicer and said “nice toy sonny!” Which made me laugh.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube if you can lay your hands on a cleaver. Without a cleaver you can polish the end but that’s for masochists really. It’s usually cheaper to buy pre-made cables, even the custom length ones are usually quite cheap.
ahh ok cool. i may just do that and buy pre made cables.

Are there any keystone jacks that will work on fibre cables if i wanted to run it through walls and add a SFP+ keystone jack or a SFP+ to r4j45 ketsone jack?

Back
Top Bottom