Upgraded Home Network 2.5Gb for £130

Soldato
Not keystone jacks as far as I’m aware. You’d need to be super-careful about bending the fibre. Search for Optical Network Terminal or Fibre Wall Outlet as they deliver the network to you in slightly different ways. With the right ONTs you can just plug in a 10GbE RJ45 into either end of the fibre whereas the fibre wall outlets just give you a recepticle to terminate your fibres into.

Sorry - I’m being a moron - of course there are keystone jacks for fibres - I was thinking pretty ones for your living room but they do them to go into patch panels. Just be super-careful about bending radii.

Permabanned
2.5gb seems quite common on reasonable motherboards now, so much so that I noticed I had 2.5g on both my PC and Unraid box. Couple of 5 port 2.5g switches later.....for a reasonably cheap upgrade. :)

Soldato
Not keystone jacks as far as I’m aware. You’d need to be super-careful about bending the fibre. Search for Optical Network Terminal or Fibre Wall Outlet as they deliver the network to you in slightly different ways. With the right ONTs you can just plug in a 10GbE RJ45 into either end of the fibre whereas the fibre wall outlets just give you a recepticle to terminate your fibres into.

Sorry - I’m being a moron - of course there are keystone jacks for fibres - I was thinking pretty ones for your living room but they do them to go into patch panels. Just be super-careful about bending radii.
i guess dont bend fibre more than 45 degrees or similar?

Cheers i will take a look.

@chroniclard

10gbit is common on mobo's too. My mobo ha sa 10gbit port but i do have a spare 10gbit card as my previous build diddnt have that.

2.5gbit is soo yesterdays news.

10gbit or more!!!!

@WJA96 Am i correct in assuming that if i was running om3 fibre in most places in my property, i can easily upgrade from 10gbit SFP+ to 28SFP 25gbit just by buying a 28sfp transmitter(as well as a switch/NIC that handles it) ?

I would not need to ever upgrade the cables themselves?

Soldato

@chroniclard

10gbit is common on mobo's too. My mobo ha sa 10gbit port but i do have a spare 10gbit card as my previous build diddnt have that.

10gbit or more!!!!

@WJA96 Am i correct in assuming that if i was running om3 fibre in most places in my property, i can easily upgrade from 10gbit SFP+ to 28SFP 25gbit just by buying a 28sfp transmitter(as well as a switch/NIC that handles it) ?

30 degrees bending radius is what I was told.

Probably. Maybe. OM3 might work over short distances for 25Gbps but if you run OM4 it definitely will. OM4 will run over 100Gbps so you should have a bit of room for growth. On the adapters - yes, just buy the correct QSFP+ adapters for the cable you install.

Man of Honour
2.5gb seems quite common on reasonable motherboards now, so much so that I noticed I had 2.5g on both my PC and Unraid box. Couple of 5 port 2.5g switches later.....for a reasonably cheap upgrade. :)
The 2.5 Gbps NIC on my gaming PC motherboard is absolute trash, even with the latest drivers it struggles to maintain 1 Gbps. I thought I'd get away with using is, but I've gone back to an Intel X520 PCI card.

Permabanned
The 2.5 Gbps NIC on my gaming PC motherboard is absolute trash, even with the latest drivers it struggles to maintain 1 Gbps. I thought I'd get away with using is, but I've gone back to an Intel X520 PCI card.

Seems ok for me, copying to and from Unraid(ssd's anyway). Have MSI boards(B550 and X570) on each end, Realtek Nics of some sort. :)

2tuqtYK.png

Permabanned

@chroniclard

10gbit or more!!!!

Yeah but 2.5g is much more cost effective for a quite good boost. £100 more for the motherboard and £100 more for a switch, ball park.

Worth it I guess if you need to transfer a lot around. :)

Man of Honour
Seems ok for me, copying to and from Unraid(ssd's anyway). Have MSI boards(B550 and X570) on each end, Realtek Nics of some sort. :)

2tuqtYK.png
Same here. MSI Z490 with a Realtek NIC. I’ve tried it properly twice now and it just seems to perform badly and google agreed with me. Back to the Intel NIC and it’s flawless. I’d prefer not using it as it isn’t exactly a nice looking card!

TOW

TOW

Associate
10GbE is soooooooo old hat. There are at least three people posting on here who have home networks running over 40GbE and I believe one has 100GbE. Just for the ePeen!
Might as well have 100GbE when you have 100GbE interwebs connection... the annoyance was building a high clock dedicated PC to run as a router to actually handle it.

My 3 NASes struggle to hit 5Gbit each tho... so it's completely useless unless I upgrade to an SSD array or large SSD cache.

TOW

TOW

Associate
Don't Netgear have a cheap 2.5/5/10GbE unmanaged switch on the market now?

A managed 8 port is only about £300-350 anyway, not crazy money.

And all my mobos for the last 4-5 years have had onboard 5 or 10 GbE... isn't it mainstream now?

TOW

TOW

Associate
30 degrees bending radius is what I was told.

Probably. Maybe. OM3 might work over short distances for 25Gbps but if you run OM4 it definitely will. OM4 will run over 100Gbps so you should have a bit of room for growth. On the adapters - yes, just buy the correct QSFP+ adapters for the cable you install.
The variant is more distance specific than speed

Permabanned
Don't Netgear have a cheap 2.5/5/10GbE unmanaged switch on the market now?

A managed 8 port is only about £300-350 anyway, not crazy money.

And all my mobos for the last 4-5 years have had onboard 5 or 10 GbE... isn't it mainstream now?
Paid £80 for one switch and £100 for the other 2.5g. They are coming down but still quite a big cost difference.

I did look for 10gb boards but for the price difference wasn't worth it for me. :)

Soldato
I’m sure you’re correct and would you want to be the person who recommended they run OM3 and it didn’t work?
i read that it is distance specific.

ie technically om2 can run 100gb!!

The way it works from my research is that it goes something like this:

om1 - 25gb speeds 10m or below , 100gb 1m or below
om2 - 25gb speeds 50m or below , 100gb 5m or below
om3 - 25gb 100m or below, 100gb 10m or below
om4 - 25gb 1000m or below, 100gb 100m or below

(Note, the above values are not correct as i cant be asked digging out the spec sheet but it works in that sort of way)

Soldato
Paid £80 for one switch and £100 for the other 2.5g. They are coming down but still quite a big cost difference.

I did look for 10gb boards but for the price difference wasn't worth it for me. :)

61+J5C1iZ6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ALL 10gbit ports ;)

Back
Top Bottom