Upgraded mobo, ram, cpu - pc won't post

Soldato
As per title, trying to do a fresh Windows install via usb with nvme ssd in mobo but I get a red led next to 'boot' on the mobo and it won't post. All fans spinning, tried with and without gpu, and trying with just one stick of ram in slot 1.

Cpu 3900xt
Mobo msi b550m mortar
Ram Vengeance LPX 2x16gb

Was thinking maybe faulty installation media but I have tried booting again with my old ssd boot drive connected but same result.

Have reconnected everything twice with exception of cpu but don't want to keep fiddling with that and mobo leds not indicating it's an issue.

Tried removing cmos for 5 mins and no joy.

Instructions says to install win10:

1.Power on pc
2. Insert installation media
3. Press restart
4. Press f11 during POST
5. select Windows 10 media from boot menu

I do step 1 and 2 but my restart button doesn't do anything, which I understand is because I'm not posting.

Wording in manual for red led next to 'boot' says
"indicates the booting device is not connected or fail". Will that be referring to my installation media, or the drive (the nvme ssd in my mobo) I'm trying to install on?

Any help gratefully received, cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No with one stick of ram seated in next slot along (2nd away from cpu), I have no red leds. However nothing showing on monitor even when I mash f11 while it's posting like it says to.

Same with old ssd, no red leds but no output. Restart button still does nothing.

Soldato
OP
I took my gpu out early doors to just eliminate that from the equation but then obviously connected my monitor cable to the mobo output, but the cpu has no integrated graphics, hence I think I was reaching BIOS but just not seeing it! When I put gpu back in and connected then I got to BIOS, so I think the ram slot was what was actually preventing it posting before.

I managed to install windows last night, but when I did a restarted it then wouldn't post again, and showed showed red LED next to cpu. Which is a bit worrying.

When I first mounted the cooler, it looked at a very slight angle, but I didn't worry because the screws were properly seated on the mounting. However at one point I did loosed the screws and extremely carefully repositioned it to be better aligned. I did this prior to the successful bios entry and windows install, so thought I was home and dry, but now worrying that if I have maybe bent a few pins it might post OK one time and not the next. Is that a possibility?

Haven't tried booting this morning, if I do and it shows cpu light red again then I think I'll have to take the cpu out and check it.

Associate
When i messed up a heatsink installation I pulled the CPU out with the heatsink. Took a picture of the AM4 socket AND the underside of the CPU itself. Put it on the big screen ( PC ) and then zoomed in to make sure all the connectors were still there.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a good idea, getting red CPU led each time now. Don't know how installation could be messed up but worth a look. Don't have any rubbing alcohol to clean off thermal paste though. Will I be able to just wipe it still if I only applied it late last night?

Associate
I used Noctua's CPU cleaning wipes. It's a good job I bought them as I got paste on the underside of my CPU. I just dabbed it around the bottom and wiped the top. No problems. Just let it dry afterwards.
People say to use Isopropyl alcohol, however if you use a tissue with it you can get microfibres stuck to the CPU.

Associate
Not sure. I'd personally get some CPU wipes which are designed for the job as they wont damage anything and they evapourate quickly

Soldato
OP
Posting this from new windows install working fine.

Changed a lot of things but I think it was one of or combination or bad windows install / applying XMP setting. When I reset cmos again, managed to post and get into BIOS, and fresh windows install and hopefully in the clear.

Hopefully not to be continued...

Back
Top Bottom