upgraded PC now i am in gaming hell

Associate
Hi I have upgraded to I9 12900k, 32gb ddr5, and a 3090ti, and a asus 4k 144Hz monitor,

now my games are rebooting my PC.
I have the latest bios, checked for overheating, not even overclocked.
when I run benchmarks they don't reset my PC. whether its aida64, cinebench etc.

I have even repasted the paste etc. I have got windows on Gaming performance power settings over rid the fan speed to full etc.

I am at a bit of a loss to be honest.
games.
Elder scrools online
Fifa 22
Everspace 2

I suspect its something to do with some bios settings, but i'm not sure what at this point, all advice is appreciated

Soldato
Was this a full new build - using a new NVME drive with a clean Windows install? Or re-using any parts or an existing Windows install?

Have you checked what your temps are like on the CPU and GPU?

Try resetting your BIOS to default settings, re-enable XMP and giving it a go after?

Any security or anti-virus malware software etc you use that could be interfering or causing issues?

Soldato
how old is that 1100w psu?, the crashing in games sugests to me when the gpu pulls 400w+ possibly the psu cant handle it, if your psu is any older than say 5 years look at a new one in the 1k region, seasonic and corsair are my recommendations but others may have more recomendations

Associate
OP
how old is that 1100w psu?, the crashing in games sugests to me when the gpu pulls 400w+ possibly the psu cant handle it, if your psu is any older than say 5 years look at a new one in the 1k region, seasonic and corsair are my recommendations but others may have more recomendations
you might have a point my coolmaster is old, probably 10yrs+
Was this a full new build - using a new NVME drive with a clean Windows install? Or re-using any parts or an existing Windows install?

Have you checked what your temps are like on the CPU and GPU?

Try resetting your BIOS to default settings, re-enable XMP and giving it a go after?

Any security or anti-virus malware software etc you use that could be interfering or causing issues?
it's a frech install on a less than a year viper Nvme

Soldato
I can't believe you spent all that dollar on a 12900k and 3090 Ti upgrade, then re-use your 11 yr old PSU :D Very brave!

I would certainly try another PSU if you can, even if it's from the rainforest to test - then return it if the issue remains, but I would certainly not want a decade+ old PSU powering that rig.

Also, when you say a fresh install on your 1 yr old NVME - so you did a full clean format and re-install of Windows, when you put the new parts together? Haven't left any old OS files or re-installed over it, or using this 1 yr old Windows installation at all in anyway?

Soldato
ordered this
Corsair Professional Series HX 1200W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020140-UK)

very solid unit :), if you still have issues with this psu then it could point to the gpu as you have said the cpu passes stress tests, only in games you have issues, but i'm cetain the new psu will fix the problem you have

keep us updated

Associate
OP
Good choice, great PSU. Hopefully solves your issues.
very solid unit :), if you still have issues with this psu then it could point to the gpu as you have said the cpu passes stress tests, only in games you have issues, but i'm cetain the new psu will fix the problem you have

keep us updated
I hope so, I'm going to repaste my , when I pull the pc apart too just to help these I( 12900k do run mega hot , but aparently its normal
EK Water Blocks EK-AIO 360 Elite

Soldato
I hope so, I'm going to repaste my , when I pull the pc apart too just to help these I( 12900k do run mega hot , but aparently its normal
EK Water Blocks EK-AIO 360 Elite

unless you get a golden chip most if not all 12900k's run around 80+ degrees in benchmarks and sometimes in games, its nothing to worry about really, upto 90-95 degrees is still ok but that is getting a bit hot, as long as you dont hit 100 degrees you'll be ok, it's just one of those things to live with unfortuantly

Associate
ordered this
To bide time until it arrives, and also to indirectly confirm PSU is the issue, you could experiment with basic GPU undervolting.
Not even undervolting, just reduce the GPU power limit in Afterburner

Reduce it from default (what is it, 450W?) by 100-150W and see if crashes persist.
At reduced power there will be fewer power spikes that overload the PSU

Associate
You don't mention the motherboard. Was it brand new or an existing board?

With that amount of change I would go full CMOS reset. But you did at least reload the BIOS defaults and start from there?

It sounds like overclocking instability, even though you aren't, apparently, overclocked. So it could be memory profile or a stray setting in the BIOS. So defo check and confirm with the BIOS defaults or BIOS defaults + XMP memory profile. I'd even go as far as suggesting XMP profile, but take the memory clock down 200Mhz from what you bought.

Beyond that, help us help you. We need metrics. Temps, clocks, etc. MSI Afterburner is great for GPU and CPU using it's graphs window.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,
Just an update on this, The PSU made no difference at all.
I did a memtest from bios and it ultra failed 3k+ errors.I then did a memtest on single sticks and they both passed without error.
I posted the results on a facebook page called PCMR( PC master race) its quite fun, anyway out of their suggestions came one guy,
who said these 1700 sockets are not great and go back and check the seating of the CPU, which I did and when I released the arm I noticed a minute movement of the CPU.
SO i reseated cleaned the paste off it , reapplied and redid memtest without any errors at all.
Its been fine since then.

Thanks you to everybody who tried to help with their replies, It is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom