• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading a GTX 980 Ti ?

Associate
Hi all,

Despite living under a rock for a while now, I realise that there is a huge shortage of the new RTX 3060/3070/3080 cards. One of them would have been my go to choice but since there is next to no chance of me getting one any time soon without paying a scalper a huge markup, I was wondering if the collective hivemind here could suggest alternatives, that are more readily available?

I play at 1440p on an Alienware AW3420DW so I think potentially a 2080 or 2080 Super would do?

Soldato
There's nothing (edit: latest gen) readily available. You can pick up a 2070 Super if you desperately want to upgrade now. Preferably second hand, don't be paying new prices. Same for the 2080/s. Again I personally wouldn't buy new because you'll probably want to sell again with 6 months.

If you're not fussed about sticking with Nvidia you could try a 5700XT, again 2nd hand.

Otherwise, and I hate, HATE saying this, wait. Stock will eventually come back, but we've had a year of sweaty nerdlords running sneakerbots to buy up every CPU, GPU, Nintendo Switch and iPad on the internet to sell on Amazon and eBay.

Last edited:
Associate
really for the prices last gen cards are going for and with the shortage across the board if you can then you're better off just waiting a couple(+) more months.

Soldato
A 3070 doubles a 1070.

a 1070 trades with a 980ti

the 3060ti isn’t that far off a 3070.

not sure what reply 6 and onwards are on about...especially when you bring dlss to the table

Permabanned
I would hold off. the AW3420DW is a great monitor and really you can't drive it with a 3060ti. I used to have a 344x1440 monitor and a similarly powered card ( the 2070S ) and I can tell you it's not enough for that monitor. It is fine for old games but even for something more recent like Monster Hunter I could barely get 60fps. For even more power hungry games you will struggle...and you need to get over 90 for everything. You really need a 3080 if you are going to drive that monitor with confidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would hold off. the AW3420DW is a great monitor and really you can't drive it with a 3060ti. I used to have a 344x1440 monitor and a similarly powered card ( the 2070S ) and I can tell you it's not enough for that monitor. It is fine for old games but even for something more recent like Monster Hunter I could barely get 60fps. For even more power hungry games you will struggle...and you need to get over 90 for everything. You really need a 3080 if you are going to drive that monitor with confidence.

I'm running a 1440 ultrawide on a 3070 and it's fine and a 3060ti isn't much slower, so I'd say it's fine. Obviously a 3080 would be better, but they'll be difficult to get for some time yet.

Associate
Stick with the 980ti till you see something in stock. I was doing just that but managed to snag a 3080 at rrp. They come up just need to be lucky and prepared.

Associate
I have that monitor, and a 3060TI. Ideally I wanted the 3080, but the 3060TI was what I actually managed to get (I did have a V56 and that was really struggling). I'm really happy with it, to the point where even when the 6800XT/3080 are available I'll probably pass. It depends on what you want, granted it can't maintain a solid 120fps in everything on Ultra, but I only expect a constant 120fps in competitive shooters where I'll reduce the graphics settings to get it. For everything else comfortably above 60 is fine for me.

I will add I've never tried RT, but I would imagine it to be a no-go at this resolution on the 3060TI.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I am not too fussed about getting 120 FPS... you might question why I bought that monitor then, but to be honest I bought it during the Black Friday Alienware event plus I still had some Dell Vouchers and another Dell Code that meant I got it for like £750 or so.
@Bazippy what is the best way to keep an eye out for stock?

Associate
Thanks. I am not too fussed about getting 120 FPS... you might question why I bought that monitor then, but to be honest I bought it during the Black Friday Alienware event plus I still had some Dell Vouchers and another Dell Code that meant I got it for like £750 or so.
@Bazippy what is the best way to keep an eye out for stock?
I tried to message you some information but it wont let me, anyway use an app called telegram and find a decent 3080 stock alert and go from there.

Associate
thx! i just joined a few, some of them seem to be US though
one i used was called
3080 PartAlert
Took me a few days to find one that kinda did what i wanted, then just sat with the app open whilst gaming, if i got a ping i liked i clicked it and tried to buy. Took me about 2 weeks of that for my 3080

Back
Top Bottom