• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from 2xR9 290's to one Vega 64.worth it?

Associate
As the thread title states, I have 2 290's and am considering swaping for a vega 64. My old cards are under water and I would want to put the new card under water too. I am using E K waterblocks.
My thinking is I can still get a reasonable price for my old cards but my question to you experts is am I thinking straight - is this a good idea

If it is, what cards /block would you recommend?
Cheers.

Soldato
I sold both of my 290s for over £200 each but this was during the mining craze. Upgrading to Vega 64 was worth it because I have an 1440p monitor and the 4gb was reaching its limits.

Associate
OP
Well I hope to go vr at some point so focusing on one card is important. I just wondered if I'm going to see a reasonable improvement for the effort and cost

Associate
OP
Not worth it at all, Vega is terribly priced, you can get faster custom overclocked Nvidia cards cheaper, which are also best at VR.

What would you suggest given I was looking at a £500 card plus waterblock, so say a budget of £580, maybe max £600

Edit. I should say my system is plumbed with EK waterblocks so I would want to keep with that...

Soldato
I've made this exact upgrade and can say it's definitely worth it. I sold 2x390s for about £450 and picked up a Vega64 for £450 at launch. Performance on a par with 2x290s, but you'll get it in every game, with minimal fuss. I considered a 1080, but went with Vega due to my 1440p/144Hz Freesync screen.

VR performance, thus far, has been great.

Caporegime
What would you suggest given I was looking at a £500 card plus waterblock, so say a budget of £580, maybe max £600

Edit. I should say my system is plumbed with EK waterblocks so I would want to keep with that...

At the moment, id just wait until the 1070 Ti is released on Thursday, see if theres any price changes.

Associate
I’d say it’s worth selling the two due to less support for dual cards, now it’s pretty much your choice which manufacturer you go with. If you have a freesync screen that may sway you with AMD other than that the price and performance is with nvidia

Associate
Agree with the above, if crossfire was scaling excellently it wouldn't be any real upgrade but unfortunately it generally doesn't, as well as the slew of issues that come with dual card setups - not to mention the power and heat, and vram limitations. And for VR for sure it's a massive upgrade.

I'd probably wait it out though for a 1070Ti? Vega cards not brilliant value right now.

Associate
Vega prices seem to moving all over the place at the moment. Currently the cheapest Vega 56 @ overclockers is £428.99 and the 64 is £499.99.
So at this current second they both look good value :p. I would not buy the 64 unless your getting it wet. Even with under volting mine still got to 85c.
Under water different story happy days.

Associate
Well I hope to go vr at some point so focusing on one card is important.
If VR is your main reason to upgrade then go for nvidia card as these are a lot better at vr.

kMajpcb.jpg

These are scores for Liquid Vega 64 and Founders edition 1080..

Last edited:
Associate
I previously had 2x 290x sapphire vapor-x 8gb cards in crossfire and my new Single vega 64 AIO wipes the floor with them at 1440p.

Associate
OP
If VR is your main reason to upgrade then go for nvidia card as these are a lot better at vr.

kMajpcb.jpg

These are scores for Liquid Vega 64 and Founders edition 1080..
Thanks, those figures aren't even close...
I guess I wait and see that the 1070ti does to the pricing levels. Is there an expected price for the 1070ti?

Back
Top Bottom