Upgrading from 8GB to 16GB on a Haswell system

Associate
I'm doing a partial upgrade on my PC (monitor, GPU) and I'm looking at adding some more RAM.

Currently I'm at 8GB (2x4GB sticks) of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600Mhz C9. Rest of spec in sig.

Is it better to add 2 more sticks or should I just buy 2x8GB sticks? If I get 2x8GB, should I get a different brand/model or are the Corsair I have ok? (sticks must be low profile so they can fit under my Noctua D14 CPU cooler)

Man of Honour
just add.
ddr3 = dead tech, no point spending a pretty penny on it.
you don't need matching ram to run...that's not quite true nowadays and most ram will play nice with each other as long as you're not gunning for monster clocks.
1600c9 is easily achievable by most ddr3 ram

Permabanned
Yeah I think it's not worth it. You'll just have a bunch of ram sitting there doing nothing.
Then a year or two from now you'll replace the cpu/mobo/ram anyway.
I'd just do the GPU, 1660Ti probably.

Permabanned
Put more ram in. Many games will load more files to ram if you have extra there.

But buy 2 x 4gb and add it in for 16gb total.
There is actually a performance increase from got to 16gb from 8gb.

BF V, will run fine on 8gb and use about 6gb. But if you have 16gb it will use 11gb and run smoother and load better. It will give you fps too.

Also look round 8gb costs bigger all

Associate
OP
Yeah it's not expensive but if it doesn't add anything performance wise why bother... I'd have to remove my CPU cooler too and I'm not really in the mood to do that :p

Worth the trouble?

Associate
OP
Alright guys, thanks, I'll probably add two more 4GB sticks then.

One more question- It's been a long time since I overclocked my CPU and I don't remember how it goes but is it possible for the new RAM to mess with my CPU OC?

Permabanned
One more question- It's been a long time since I overclocked my CPU and I don't remember how it goes but is it possible for the new RAM to mess with my CPU OC?
Possibly, though very unlikely

Yes its possible and very likely. Putting extra stress onto the memory controller is known to lower how high you can push an overclock.

Associate
I just did this on my lads system, a little expensive putting 16gb of DDR3 at 2400mhz in.£75.

Another system im just putting together has his old 8gb Patriot DDR3 2400.

Still tempted to add 16gb to the third Haswell we have and sell the 8gb.

Was thinking 4770k systems with 16gb would last a few more years for 1080p gaming.

Permabanned
Depending on the gaming needs there is no need to replace Haswell yet. There is still a lot gaming on ivy xeons, it all depends on your needs.

But I think 16gb is must.

Steam system info shows most people play at 1080p and still run quad core CPU's. So I 4c8t xeon is still happy to game

Soldato
I've just moved off a Haswell system and the only reason for doing it was a flaky motherboard causing cold boot issues. Gaming (and other apps) performance was absolutely fine once it was up and running. Part of getting it running usually involved removing a RAM stick and it wasn't *that* often I noticed a difference between 16 Gig and 8 Gig.

I'd suggest spend on the GPU upgrade and then see if you really need the extra memory. I get where you're coming from in not wanting to re-do the overclock.

Back
Top Bottom