• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from a Vega 56 GFX Card.

Associate
Hello!

I've recently made the switch from my 24" 60Hz FHD monitor to an ultrawide 34" QHD 144Hz (AOC CU32G2X). Naturally, this is putting some additional strain on my current GFX card, when trying to run games at the new res of 3440 x 1440. As an example, I've had to lower everything to 'medium' settings in RDR2 to average around 65 FPS.

I'd like to be able to make the most of the increased resolution and I'm not getting much benefit from the 144Hz at around 65FPS...

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 Pulse 8GB HBM2 GFX card and would like to upgrade to something that will deliver a noticeable improvement, but without breaking the bank. I'm thinking of something in the region of £300-£350, if it's possible...

I guess as my new monitor has Freesync, I'm probably not wanting to go down the Nvidia route?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Associate
nvidia cards can do most of the freesync monitors, theres a few caveats though, they likely cant do freesync over hdmi 1.4(untested - but because this freesync implementation was a custom AMD one and not using the adaptive sync spec it likely wont work) if your monitor supports freesync over dp 1.4 or hdmi 2.0a/b then it should work, which then opens up more options to you.(you can always google too if your monitor will work via freesync on an nvidia card :) )

Caporegime
Same boat as you.

Basically don't bother, you aren't going to get an upgrade for £350.

Ideally you want at least a 6800/3080 for that res. and future proof.

Check back in March when stock is likely to improve as well as pricing, however, by that time, you might as well just wait until the next lots of gpus are out then.....

Soldato
Right now the only realistic option is a 3060Ti Founders if you can get one but that's a bit over your budget.

The 3060 non Ti and RX6700 are rumored to be anounced by mid Jan 2020 so, wait for some decent benchmarks.

Unfortunatly you need deep pockets for high refresh rate gaming in modern titles, especially with 4k or superwide. Even the 3090 can't do it in cyberpunk.
You should be fine in the e-sports titles where it makes a more of a difference.

For now, try running fidelity FX @ 80% and use an undervolt with maxed power limit to make sure the Vega sits at full boost constantly.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. I just sold my 18 month old Vega 56 for a profit surprisingly. With price hikes like that, it's a great time to sell but a very bad time to buy.

I'm going to take a short break from gaming and I'll come back in a couple months when the market is flooded with plenty of choices. Then I'll buy whatever GPU I want for MSRP.

I suggest you wait a few months if you want a bargain.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello!

I've recently made the switch from my 24" 60Hz FHD monitor to an ultrawide 34" QHD 144Hz (AOC CU32G2X). Naturally, this is putting some additional strain on my current GFX card, when trying to run games at the new res of 3440 x 1440. As an example, I've had to lower everything to 'medium' settings in RDR2 to average around 65 FPS.

I'd like to be able to make the most of the increased resolution and I'm not getting much benefit from the 144Hz at around 65FPS...

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 Pulse 8GB HBM2 GFX card and would like to upgrade to something that will deliver a noticeable improvement, but without breaking the bank. I'm thinking of something in the region of £300-£350, if it's possible...

I guess as my new monitor has Freesync, I'm probably not wanting to go down the Nvidia route?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I was in the same position as you bro, same card with a freesychn monitor.
Choice is simple get either a 3060TI or 3070, shop around and try and get the FEs if you can.
They will most probably work with your monitor, worked with mine.

3070 and 3060TI OC will DOUBLE the VEGA56, perf with 50-100W less.
AMDs has none, 0, midrange cards, and when they do come out, stock will be very poor for that matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom