Upgrading gtx1080 PC for High End VR Gaming

Associate
Hey guys,

so here is my current specs:
  • Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MSI Z170A Gaming M7 Intel Socket LGA1151 Skylake Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans
  • EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512 GB Solid State Drive - Black
  • Gigabyte G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 1080
Im really struggling to run high end games such as Half Life Alyx in VR even at 90hz and at medium/high settings.

I really want to upgrade my system so that it can run games like Half Life Alyx in VR on Valve Index at 120hz with all settings on max/ultra.

Firstly, speaking of the GPU, im thinking of either going for the RTX3070 Founders Edition or the ASUS RTX3070 TUF cards (my topic discussing which one to go for is also here):
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/rtx-3070-founders-edition-vs-asus-tuf.18904316/

I really wanted to get the ASUS rtx3080 TUF card, but just cant be bothered anymore to wait.

But my question is will the 3070 FE be good enough to run how i think it will? or will i end up being disappointed?

I am also thinking of upgrading the mobo and cpu and probably going with a i9 intel one, as im sure my current one will bottle neck me with the new gpu!

Caporegime
Although I don’t use VR anymore your spec is eerily similar to mine (32 GB excepted, I have 16GB) before I picked up a 2070 Super about 18 months ago. It’s given a marked improvement in nearly everything I do. A 3070 will be a great upgrade prior to a full CPU Board and Memory (although your memory is good) in about a year to 18 months.

Associate
OP
Although I don’t use VR anymore your spec is eerily similar to mine (32 GB excepted, I have 16GB) before I picked up a 2070 Super about 18 months ago. It’s given a marked improvement in nearly everything I do. A 3070 will be a great upgrade prior to a full CPU Board and Memory (although your memory is good) in about a year to 18 months.
Okay thank you. But i didn't get your last part, did you mean the 3070 upgrade will be great as long as i also upgrade my cpu? And lastly you said this upgrade would be good for about a year to 18month only? After that i would need to look to upgrade again? Id like to future proof as much as possible for at least 2 years (about the time i think the gtx1080 came out or maybe its been 3 years already?) which is why i thought to upgrade my motherboard and cpu also and get an i9 one.

Caporegime
Okay thank you. But i didn't get your last part, did you mean the 3070 upgrade will be great as long as i also upgrade my cpu? And lastly you said this upgrade would be good for about a year to 18month only? After that i would need to look to upgrade again? Id like to future proof as much as possible for at least 2 years (about the time i think the gtx1080 came out or maybe its been 3 years already?) which is why i thought to upgrade my motherboard and cpu also and get an i9 one.
You will see a significant performance uplift with a 3070 but your CPU will become the limiting factor.

Back
Top Bottom