Upgrading (sending back Sonos) TV Hi-Fi

Associate
So here's the back story.

A couple months ago I bought a Sonos Playbar and Sub to accompany my failing inbuilt speakers on the TV. Having been exposed to the beautiful oled tvs in store I then went and bought a lgb7oled55 (oops) which I noticed had the dolby atmos feature integrated into it. After reading all about dolby atmos after I got the sonos linked up to the new tele and feeling totally underwhelmed by its performance and archaic features I am sending it back tomorrow. So next weekend I have an appointment to listen to the following setup

2 x monitor bronze 6 floor standing speakers
1 x monitor bronze centre speaker
2 x monitor bronze fx rears
Sony STRDN1080 amp

I have been guided towards this setup instead of a sound bar such as the Yamaha YSP-5600 sound bar as that is dolby atmos capable and is capable of accurately directing noise from the front, above and side but what has pushed me away is not knowing if in the future I could add additional rear speakers to get the full cinematic experience.

So after all that I ask you well informed people out there if there are any alternatives worth listening to?

Budget wise would be the same amount as the setup I'll be listening to on Saturday.

I look forward to the responses :)

Soldato
Lots of other speaker brands and avr brands, so go and have a listen.

Don't be too fussed about atmos, get a 5.1 or 7.1 system then look into ceiling speakers. Because 7.1 plus 2+2 costs a lot more so get a simpler, but better system now. AVR's have more connectivity options, you can use any speaker and subwoofer combination, so you get flexibility what a soundbar lacks

Your system lacks a sub- your speaker are no match for one. For movies you need one, it'll free up power on your AVR.

Personally I'd get a larger center speaker, I found 4 driver centers to outperform 3 driver MTM types

Associate
OP
Lots of other speaker brands and avr brands, so go and have a listen.

Don't be too fussed about atmos, get a 5.1 or 7.1 system then look into ceiling speakers. Because 7.1 plus 2+2 costs a lot more so get a simpler, but better system now. AVR's have more connectivity options, you can use any speaker and subwoofer combination, so you get flexibility what a soundbar lacks

Your system lacks a sub- your speaker are no match for one. For movies you need one, it'll free up power on your AVR.

Personally I'd get a larger center speaker, I found 4 driver centers to outperform 3 driver MTM types

To be honest I'm not sure if he will be linking up the bronze w10 as I did say to the chap that I wasn't opposed to adding speakers to the system at a later date if over budget I. E the sub and potentially the rears.

Soldato
The W10 is 10" 220W. You can probably buy better, like the BK XLS400. 400W, 12".

In a larger room I'd go for a ported sub, but for a small to medium go sealed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom