Upgrading to 10 via the ISO

Associate
Has anyone upgraded to 10 via the ISO smoothly?
I have a legitimate copy of win8 but cannot upgrade with with the update function as the download rate starts at 1.7mbps and degrades down to 0 and the update halts.

Soldato
on my system I did this.

W7 activated and upgraded to W10, I downloaded the ISO file and ran the setup.exe

once W10 was installed and activated I created a USB stick of W10 using Microsoft tool and then formatted my SSD and installed W10. skipped both points when asking for the key and activated once online\desktop with no issues.

have you tried using the tool here to download the ISO? this is what I used and had no issues and can even create a USB stick as well

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

if the above fails download them from here

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=2DAEC...CE79DD0D1AF5&group=0&authkey=!APbjkd2nVPBU_DQ

Associate
I did the same as ED209, except that after the upgrade, but before the fresh install, I ran Magical Jelly Bean, then just used the key it gave me when doing the fresh install.

Soldato
I ran Magical Jelly Bean, then just used the key it gave me when doing the fresh install.

not a bad idea, didn't think of doing that for the key. may find it out and make a note as I'm sure I will have to do a clean install at some point

Associate
Truthfully I don't think it mattered because the Windows 10 upgrade thing is a bit weird, I don't think it actually gives you a new key, but rather gives you a generic key that everyone has and instead registers your "hardware", apparently it also deactivates your Windows 7/8 key at the same time though so you can no longer install that anymore anyway.

It all seems kind of a bit hocuspukeus to me, as long as there is a way to keep upgrading with only a single license I'll be happy, I'm not buying a new copy of Windows everytime I upgrade my hardware.

Soldato
I just had a right old laugh, had my 8.1 retail on my old 4790k and upgraded to 10,

Now i've just got a new X99 system so i isntalled 10 from the iso thinking as i'd already upgraded it was fine but oh no because the mobo is different the key wont work.
Ended up having to reinstall 8.1 and upgrade that again, but even that wasn't simple, I had to ring microsoft and do the silly 'hardware id' number game.

At least we get retail win10 if we had retail 8.1 :p

Associate
I just had a similar experience. Upgraded to 10, then changed my mobo. When I reinstalled Windows 10 my key was blocked and it wouldn't validate.

I tried reinstalling 8.1 but that was blocked too (same key).

What annoys me is that there is an automatic assumption that the key has been used on multiple machines and you are doing something naughty. At no point was I given the option to validate by phone or call Microsoft for support. The only options presented were to manually input a different key or to buy a new key (surprise).

Since I only use Windows for occasional gaming and Linux for everything else, I'm happy to ditch 10 for now. It's too much hassle for a habitual upgrader.....IMO.

Soldato
I did this.. I formatted my PC which had a activated copy of windows 10 on. This because my motherboard died by the way. I installed windows 8, I used my old key to activate and it worked no problem. I upgraded to windows 8.1 again no activation problem. I downloaded the ISO of windows 10, it wouldn't accept my key on install presumably because it was already activated on 8/8.1? So I skipped that part, it installed and was activated so I'm pretty happy at that. But I must say what a dance just to get to 10. Never known anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom