Upto £4000 on a Hot Hatch

Pug

Pug

Soldato
chav list they may be, but you get a newish one for not much money, and the VTS (tho not 150BHP) would show a clean pair of heels to some of the cars mentioned here - especially through twisties) - they weigh next to nothing - and thats as important as BHP.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Hate said:
i know they aren't technically hatches, but £4000 will get you a fine example of a 200sx, turbocharged, rear drive - perfect for tuning.

heh, wouldnt also just about get him a Celica GT4? Lets push Toyotas here mate :D

Soldato
tonyyeb said:
Yeah my friend suggested that and i do like the performance, shame it is a clio. he also said that his friend took him out in it and said that he couldn't go to full lock on the steering due a 'design fault' on the suspension. This creates a knocking sound which "cannot be fixed"! Bit worrying on a car with a pretty poor turning circle anyway!

Plus a little bit small and the clio is quite common. As the 306 hasn't been made since 2001 and so they are becoming less common on the road, and I haven't seen a rallye for over 6 months now.

LOL yea it knocks but its only a noise, the car isn't going to fall appart. You can live with it or get the top mounts done. Either way its not an issue

Best car you will find for the money tbh if you wnt a small hot hatch

Soldato
timbob said:
Feels like it though, I've been surprised since I got my 106 GTi, it keeps up with a lot of things that it shouldn't! Lightweight is the way forward ;)

A lot cheaper on the fuel as well, I get almost 40mpg out of my GTi, and a friend with the 306 GTi6 struggles to get 25mpg. It's not really that much faster either...

Thats not fair. To achieve almost 40mpg in your gti your driving like a granny. Drive like a granny in the gti6 in 6th at 60 and you ll get 40mpg too. If it does not his lambar senser needs replacing. Its a fair bit faster, especially when into illegal speeds :p My brother has a 106 gti and me a gti6. Both are awesome cars though I prefer the faster, better specced 6. I can sit back on a hot summers day with a bit more room and aircon on in the 6 :)

Soldato
tonyyeb said:
Again 106 and Saxo quite common but yes they are available for less money. So you liked your GTI6? Better than a Rallye? Are they both turbo charged? If so is there tuning potential?

You cant say its better, its different. I love the 6 :) Not turbo charged no, NA. If you want turbo, go Jap. Not much room for tuning, 220bhp is prolly the ceiling with A LOT of work, 200 with cams + remap.

The most important thing I cant stress enough is make sure the cambelt AND tensionsers AND water pump are changed every 30,000 miles. When/If you buy one, id replace these straight away. They are sadly a weak point on the GTI-6 and Xsara VTS :(

Soldato
OP
Nathan said:
How old are you btw?

Im 26 in two weeks, 4 years no claims, no points and i only drive about 5000 miles a year hence the good insurance quote.

The older celica really is showing its age but is a nice car. But keep the suggestions coming!

Soldato
Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 - TU5J2 1587cc 8v produces 103bhp at 6200rpm and gives 97lbs/ft of torque at 3500rpm. Weighs 865kgs.

It provides immense power and effective torque up to 7,000 rpm - giving endless acceleration through the gears. Although the S2 engine is not as high revving as the one used in the S1 Rallye, it is much more flexible and produces raw performance characteristics that none of its rivals can match. A high power to weight ratio of 119bhp/tonne helps give a top speed of 121mph, 8.5 sec 0-60mph, and fantastic mid range figures.

Not quite 150bhp but will give the 306 rallye a good run.

Soldato
Enfield said:
Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 - TU5J2 1587cc 8v produces 103bhp at 6200rpm and gives 97lbs/ft of torque at 3500rpm. Weighs 865kgs.

Not quite 150bhp but will give the 306 rallye a good run.

not really. 306 Rallye has over 150bhp/tonne with an awesome close ratio gearbox. The 106 will be fun though :)

Soldato
Great choice with the Rallye, though I'm a bit biased :D Check out www.306gti6.com for all the technical stuff, also has a For Sale section which is worth keeping your eye on (though these,as always, are priced at a premium as they're well looked after members cars).

With regards to the 106 GTi/Rallye, they are very quick and nippy and tons of fun. I was going to get one myself but prefered the room of the 306. Upto 60mph they're pretty even but passed that they're quicker thanks to the glorious 3rd gear on the GTi6 :D

P.S - Personally I don't see any reason to get a Rallye over a GTi6 unless you REALLY want one. They're a lot rarer so it's harder to find a good one. They don't offer that much more in terms of performance bar a slight weight advantage. And they have windy windows!? :eek:

EDIT - Like this one. Although as mentioned if there's no record of the cambelt/tensioners/waterpump being changed in the last 35,000miles then IT NEEDS DOING YESTERDAY! Otherwise it's bye-bye engine and a nice £1200 bill :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Nein. Well 35k - 40k. :)

It's a manufacturing fault by Pug/Cit. They won't admit it like but cambelts (it's mainly the tensioners that go actually) have been known to go as low as 30000miles. The book figure is 60000miles! :eek:

If you go on www.306gti6.com and search for 'cambelt change' it'll throw up loads of threads about engines failing under 50000miles :(

The heads can be fixed, but they'll tap like a good 'un and normally after a fair few miles the bottom ends give way. So basically it's best to get a new engine :o

EDIT - Oooo just found something out I never knew... Citeron (same engine) specify it should get changed at 50000miles or 37500miles in severe operating conditions (short journeys). Played Peugeot :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldnt leave it till 40k tbh. Yeah the VTS says change at 37000 under harsh operating. Who buys a car like this and drives like a granny? :p so 37000 is correct. Its a bit read me really indeed, though can be done yourself for 150 squid. Pug change 450 + :/

Soldato
OP
Ok im very close to a GTI6 now i think. For 4k i can get a low milage 6 year old car with recent service. Unless someone comes up with something other than a 106, Saxo, Clit, Corsa etc... then it looks like the Peugoet wins my cash!

Back
Top Bottom