UPVC window repairs

Associate
Hi all,

I have a problem with a window whereby the internal gearbox for the lock mechanism has disintegrated and the handle doesn't lock the window. Additionally, the handle snapped on me too!

I've repaired DG windows before (they're fairly simple) but I think on this one I need to replace the whole lock mechanism.

The problem? There are no visible screws on the side of the window to undo the old lock which is a bit odd. I cannot believe it is an integrated unit i.e. if that breaks it's a whole new unit, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how it comes off. The cams that lock the window in place have 4/5mm allen heads but just spin when you get a key on them.

Any ideas?

TIA.

James

Soldato
I renewed hinges, handles and gearboxes on a number of DG units recently and the gearboxes were secured on the side of the unit with standard self tappers. 2 of them on the extremities of the mechanism.

It seems unlikely the mechanism is a 1 time sealed in place affair. You sure there are no covers over fixing screws? Perhaps they are secured from inside the frame. Try drop the glazing out and have a nose.

Perhaps a picture would help.

Associate
OP
Doesn't moving the roller bar up or down reveal the hidden screws through the holes?

Ah this might be the problem. The gearbox has disintegrated and you can't actually move them...saying that, I'll try manually pushing it up into the lock position to see if that reveals anything.

The other issue is I cannot see any locks of this type searching google!

Soldato
Just take measurements (length width and backset) and replace with a standard unit. Everything is just attached with self-tappers.

Don't forget mushroom/cam type, depth etc. Plenty of outlets will detail all the measurements you need to ensure you get a sound replacement.

Back
Top Bottom