Urgent case spec, something that will take a GTX 570

Commissario
This is a fairly urgent case spec :)

Younger brother bought himself a new GTX 570 (one of the Asus Direct CU II ones), and we've just found out the 570 is about quarter of an inch too long to fit into his current case.
Hence we're looking for a new case that can take a Graphics card that is about 11 inches long, has reasonable cooling (preferably quiet) without costing a fortune.

I normally like Antec cases but I don't think they'll work in this instance as his other requirement is that it should be under 60cm high - 55cm is preferable as it has to go under a desk.

Price as far under £100 as possible:p although I suspect it's going to cost £50-75 at least.

What he doesn't need is lots of lights, case windows etc just something functional (although a case window isn't a deal breaker).

Soldato
Xigmatek Utgard or HAF 912 plus are great cases for the price and the HAF 912 plus can fit 13 inch video cards.

Otherwise i agree with the Fractal Design XL as mentioned above now it's gone to £85 it's well worth it although it might be a bit big.

Commissario
OP
The 690 looks very promising, the only thing putting me off is the manual states the max video card size is 10.9" or 304mm :p (I'm guessing a typo in the manual as 304mm is 12")

Otherwise it looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

Commissario
OP
Cheers, in that case i'll order the 690 :)

It looks like it will do the job fine, with plenty of options for cooling.

I just wish more cases had the maximum videocard size they can take as a standard part of the listed spec :)

The fractal design case would have done it, but it's a little too large (front to back) for comfort with my brothers setup :(

Soldato
Nice choice. What might actually be good for him too is that the 690 has the 2 120mm side fan holes just incase. Might use them, might not. I personally have just completed my custom side panel on mine.

pcside1.jpg

Commissario
OP
That looks really nice :)
I think what I'm going to do with his case is put in the extra fans (I've got spares*), but not necessarily connect them up to the power unless he needs them (put them in, route the wiring etc but leave out the final connections), as room gets very warm in the summer and any extra cooling can be handy :)

The more I look at the 690 the more I'm tempted to get one next time I upgrade my machine.

*When the store had the Antec tricool 120's cheap I ordered 5 of them + a couple of other fans :)

Soldato
My case there is kitted out with Fractal fans, 3 140mms and 1 120mm to be exact. Keeps it nice and cool.

The side panel window for me made it more individual, its now my case, not just another 690 II Adv.

Commissario
OP
I spent this evening moving brothers stuff over to the CM 690, and I really like the case, it's spacious, quieter than his old case, and nicer to work on.
The only real quibble is that the metal used feels a little thinner than on Antec cases.

The big problem I came across was that the 570 won't fit his motherboard, with standard SATA cables in use - so he's got the new case, with his old card until 6 angled SATA connectors arrive (3 left facing, 3 right).

I miss the days of Trident 2mb video cards, and Geforce 1 era cards some times - you didn't have to worry about the card being too long, or it obscuring minor things like all the main drive connections on the motherboard:p (you just had to worry about getting 30+ jumpers set right to get your IDE ports, and IO ports working right:p).

Back
Top Bottom