Urgent - issues with laptop. Leaving the country on Monday for 6months!

Associate
Hi guys,

Worst possible timing for this.

I'm flying out of the UK for 6months on Monday for a ski season and just this afternoon my laptop seems to have gone "weird" and got some kind of issue.

I've been steadily downloading my favourite tv series and movies onto an external hard drive over the last week as that was recommended as wifi is too poor to stream out in staff accomodation.

No issues all week. Not been doing anything out of the ordinary; just downloading, web browsing and some streaming of twitch.

Then this afternoon i come back to my room to check on my downloads and theyve completed fine. But i seem to have lost sound? Windows keeps losing sight of the built in speakers. I reactivate them but then windows loses them again. (Gets an error saying Windows Audio Service is disabled - reenable it then it goes off again by itself shortly after..)

In addition the whole thing has just slowed. I can still open web pages but youtube videos and streams wont start. I cant open videos ive downloaded both on the laptop or from the external hdd.

Any advice because this just seemed to happen randomly and I am really screwed if I have a busted laptop now 2 days before I leave the country!

Its an Asus Notebook UX330U (Windows 10).

Any advice or help is really welcomed, starting to panic a bit!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd check what updates were recently installed, sometimes an update can break things quite badly, Windows 10 can be a bugger for it sometimes. If there are no obvious culprits I wouldn't waste too much time, I'd do a system reset but choose the option to keep your personal files.

Associate
OP
I'd check what updates were recently installed, sometimes an update can break things quite badly, Windows 10 can be a bugger for it sometimes. If there are no obvious culprits I wouldn't waste too much time, I'd do a system reset but choose the option to keep your personal files.

Thanks. Ive done a restore and reinstalled the sound drivers from Asus' website.

It seems to be working now again. But I remain highly concerned that it can seemingly break itself without me changing any settings etc!?!

Associate
Thanks. Ive done a restore and reinstalled the sound drivers from Asus' website.

It seems to be working now again. But I remain highly concerned that it can seemingly break itself without me changing any settings etc!?!

Windows update can sometimes pick a wrong generic driver and update automatically

set your windows update to manual and review the driver installs etc if you would like more control

Back
Top Bottom