US ELECTION RESULTS THREAD...

Soldato
Oh well Killa_Ken, best start on hiding those millions from the IRS then. On the upshot, a lot more people around the world like your country now, so it's probably become a bit safer.

Soldato
I would have voted for Obama, but looking at this graph it's clear some ethnic groups only chose him because of his colour! You can hardly call white america racist as it was almost 50-50:

_45174960_race.gif

Looking at that graph I'd say it's not white america that's the racist group at all...

Full link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7709852.stm
Imm, intresting. So does that mean that the black voters do not normally turn out at elections? I wonder what sort of comparison there is to previous elections with non black candidates. Wow, i probably come across as a racist now.

Caporegime
Maybe a stupid question, but Im sure someone will clear this up for me.

How come, during this election we didnt hear anything from George Bush? was he not allowed to be voted for to 'STAY' president? or after his term finished, did he just decide to roll over and take it?
US Presidents are only allowed to serve two terms in office. His second is just coming to its close.

Soldato
Congratulations to Obama, I certainly agree that many outside the states see this as a hugely positive choice for America to make. My only real concern is that Obama may try and change too much too fast for the sake of change.

Knowing something is bad is only the first step in making it right, I really wish our politicians would learn that!

The juggernaut that is America is pretty much stopped right now, It gives them the opportunity to start it back up, in a new direction. I have no idea whether it will be a better one, or if Obama has the Vision and Will to ensure it changes direction. He does have a majority in both houses and a mandate from the people to do it though.

For the first time in 8 years I genuinely wish America luck.

Soldato
So when will a white guy be voted in as president for a black country ill tell you never. Its allright to for a white country but youll never see it in a black country take south africa all the top guys were black, most of the whites had to move, ie coming to the UK, they felt they were being treated unfairly etc..

Had you even bothered to know (or even look up) even a smidgen of the history of a country you're trying to label... You'd have known that up until recently the vast majority of Presidents in South Africa have been white males.

It's only since Nelson Mandela in '94 that black African males have been in charge.

Soldato
OR because his policies were attractive to those segments of the US society, but being an idiot is fine too.

Whilst I agree that the majority of voters in the States would have voted due to his policies, it's hard to ignore the fact that many Caucasian males simply voted for McCain simple because they thought Obama was an Iraqi, a Muslim or "an Anti-American".

I'd also hazzard a guess that many African American citizens voted for Obama simply because he was Black. Certainly not as many as the White voters that voted for McCain, but there is bound to be a sect of people that did the same thing.

Soldato
Regardless of colour a Democrat was going to be in the White House this time round, it would have been a woman or a man of mixed heritage both of which would have been history making so its a moot point.

The black population of the states is staunchly Democrat whether the candiate is white or black with only a small minority of hispanic Cubans known to be Republican voting so the black vote isn't a surprise. John McCain hasn't made this a race issue, Obama hasn't made this a race issue so I don't really see why we need to?

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe a stupid question, but Im sure someone will clear this up for me.

How come, during this election we didnt hear anything from George Bush? was he not allowed to be voted for to 'STAY' president? or after his term finished, did he just decide to roll over and take it?

I do think Obama will be better for US though. I was just wondering why we had not heard anything from G.Bush?

Similar to this country, in America a President is only allowed to serve 2 terms in office. George Bush has been in power for almost two full terms now (8 years) so his time in charge is coming to an end. Bush's term ends on the 20th January 2009.

Back
Top Bottom