US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Soldato
Interesting that the US FAA banned flights over Iraq and Iran a few hours before the plane came down.

So did Ukraine not get the memo? This is not complicated. If there are reports of hostility or any risk of, then all airspace gets shut down in a worldwide centralised action.

And we know which countries are at risk, all airspace should be shut down in the entire middle east. If ukraine hasnt yet done anything about that russian military rebel area where a plane was shot down a few years ago, then ban that area too.

Soldato
All the way through some airlines have been overflying at 12000M. Etihad, whom I have been following closely (cos I'm on them soon), simply stuck to the Iraq side of the border and flew slightly higher than normal. I expected to see a blank on FlightRadar but there were plenty of planes still overflying while some appeared to cut down the med, do the Suez, then over Saudi.

Soldato
I agree, even if they just recommended it, the insurers would take a very dim view if the airlines ignored the advice. I wouldn't be surprised if the insurers mandate that airlines follow the recommendations or invalidate their cover.

Associate
On a more practical level, you would think any civilian airline brave enough to operate in or out of places like Iran would fit some sort of anti missile ECM or countermeasures to its aircraft, just in case of this eventuality.

Sadly this is likely to become a reality eventually. Kind of feels like the world has truly gone to **** if it ever does, though.

Soldato
You would have to assume they are all hardcore regime supporters. As they're basically being paid to leave the country, go to a better one and frequently go to the building where you ask for asylum/defection :D

But at some point they are going to see a difference between the facts and what they are being told to say, then lose faith.

Soldato
It's interesting to see the different responses from both countries.

With the US Vincennes incident, the US never apologised. Then slapped a medal on the Captain to add insult.

Iran have apologised and are bringing those responsible to court. Of course let's see what happens to them.

Both tragic mistakes in a time of war. The responses however are telling.

Soldato
They should have been honest from the start, there was just no way the could have kept it under wraps, the moment the black box/voice recorder has been examined there would have been nowhere to go.

Just goes to show how used this regime is to lying with impunity to their people, pathetic!

Soldato
I'm talking about responses from both countries.
Quite, one response was from 30+ years ago, the other was from yesterday. I think most people would kind of hope that in this day and age, with a different set of circumstances that the responses would be different. For one they have the media all over them, not so easy to get away with it. We've already seen this take effect, initially Iran was the "old Iran", flatly denying it was a missile that shot down the plane before they decided to come clean, a totally different response but the right one. Progress.

Man of Honour
It's interesting to see the different responses from both countries.

With the US Vincennes incident, the US never apologised. Then slapped a medal on the Captain to add insult.

Iran have apologised and are bringing those responsible to court. Of course let's see what happens to them.

Both tragic mistakes in a time of war. The responses however are telling.

And so the blame game begins. Those military personnel are screwed.

Soldato
Iran lied about it for days, cleared the crash site and was refusing to hand over the black boxes. Do you think this is a good response?

You're post isn't entirely correct. Anyway, if they intentionally wanted to hide the whole thing they could have parroted the same line into oblivion. Until the next proxy war when all is forgotten and no one cares.

Soldato
I do agree that the fact they finally admitted it is a positive move, I’d like to see them get a little credit for that, hopefully for the sake of those that died it would be great to see some good come from such a terrible accident.

Back
Top Bottom