US Presidential Election 2020 - Trump vs Biden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
How can you decide for yourself if you don't take in all available sources? If you only listen to certain opinions then you're at risk of having a distorted view.

Why would you ever think an opinion written on twitter is worth anything without checking it for yourself and before thinking it was even worth entertaining or thinking about?

You said it was a "good comment". Was it? No, it was demonstrably false.

Soldato
Ok, I can agree with that. But how do I ask a question about a post without sounding like I'm supporting it?

I like to try and understand people with other views. But that doesn't mean I agree with them. So if I don't understand I ask the question on here. But as you say it comes across like I'm supporting the original post.

Like the twitter post, because I didn't have the information to counter it, I posted it on here for someone else to counter it then I can learn that information. It wasn't me supporting the original post. If I don't ask the question then I'm not going to find the answer.

Come on, how many times have we had this discussion ? (Please access your posting history)

Caporegime
Stop trying to be so holier than thou, it's fine to discuss back and forth on certain topics and pick holes in arguments but comments like this aren't useful, it's just toxic words and you sound very self-satisfied.

It's a simple observation.

I don't mind the discussion, even asking question is fine but when it is explained to you as fact, and you dispute that fact. It's tiresome at the least.

Caporegime
Got to be getting close to all the networks calling it for Biden if PA takes the lead.

Going to be really interesting to hear what Trump and the GOP say/do after that, when everyone's screens are being lit up by "JOE BIDEN IS ELECTED THE 46th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES"

Georgia, Nevada and Arizona might well be called by the end of the day too taking him to 306 electoral college votes. he is already up 4 million in the popular vote with loads left in Cali/New York and loads of mail in ballots left to count. He might win the popular vote by ~4 points eventually

Biden's victory will be clear.

Soldato
There is no consistency in the methods. Each state has it's own regulations on voting, counting, deadlines, recounts - it's like operating under tens of different systems at once.
trouble is i don't see how you'd change that. asking all those different states to change to one unified method, when in reality they are already pretty close, i can't see happening. i personally don't see the issue with the counting that's going on. i think the electoral college needs improving, but past that, i don't see an issue with counting taking 3/4 days. mail in votes should have been counted as they came in, but it's no issue that they didn't. the only issue comes from those that want to claim fraud, but that is just CT nuts making noise at the moment, pushed by trump. when he's gone, it's just CT nuts making noise. not normally a big deal.

Ok, I can agree with that. But how do I ask a question about a post without sounding like I'm supporting it?

I like to try and understand people with other views. But that doesn't mean I agree with them. So if I don't understand I ask the question on here. But as you say it comes across like I'm supporting the original post.

Like the twitter post, because I didn't have the information to counter it, I posted it on here for someone else to counter it then I can learn that information. It wasn't me supporting the original post. If I don't ask the question then I'm not going to find the answer.

Just keep it simple,

Random person / Trump / BBC etc is saying on twitter :

"The space martians are leaving as they support Trump and hes going to lose"

Is this likely to be true or false ?

That way your showing no bias and it comes across as you genuinely are asking from a position of no knowledge

Or go even further and start with a disclaimer,

I havent been following the Senate race / outer world alliance so when i saw this on twitter I wondered could this be true or false?

"The space martians are leaving as they support Trump and hes going to lose and rumour is they are taking Pence with them"

Soldato
For someone who's now claiming to ask questions, you made an awful lot of bald assertions earlier.
he spends his life doing this.

remember that whole "the information coming will be a huge problem for biden", then after everyone wanted his source, he just claimed it was a question. we've seen it many times before.

Associate
How can you decide for yourself if you don't take in all available sources? If you only listen to certain opinions then you're at risk of having a distorted view.

You have to be able to give weight to what's being asserted.

For example, one side is asserting massive fraud. This is a serious accusation and if it's true then serious measures must be taken.

However, electoral fraud on the scale suggested is incredibly difficult, and targeting it in the way that's been suggested is even more difficult.

When the people asserting there has been fraud are asked for evidence they have thus far not been able to produce anything.

Therefore, when I see a person giving the opinion that there has been massive fraud, and another person giving the opinion that there has not been massive fraud, I give more weight to the second opinion, and I'm happy for whatever platform the first opinion is posted on to flag that it is potentially misleading - because it is.

If evidence of massive fraud comes to light I would revise my own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.