USB intermittent failure, popped PSU a cause?

Soldato
BEFORE my PSU went POP I occasionally did have strange rear motherboard usb problems e.g. my KB would suddenly power off and I'd have to unplug it and move it to the front of the PC and connect via the mobo accessory USB ports.

Now, since my PSU went bang, yesterday my KB switched off, mouse, usb headphone amp and Xbox controller.

Really weird otherwise the system is working fine?

Could the PSU going have specifically damaged USB only?

Is it a possible BIOS or driver issue? I did have a Windows usb error message few weeks ago but can't recall what it said.

Soldato
If 5V rail goes bad it can certainly do harm to USB related components.
Though good PSUs wouldn't let voltage go out of spec without shutting down leaving only increasing ripple.

Failing motherboard would be other possible cause.

Soldato
OP
beginning to suspect it's just some of the mobo rear USB ports and that they were becoming faulthy before th PSU went bang.

Right now the mouse is working at the rear ports and headphone amplifier but keyboard wasn't having any of it so has had to be plugged back into the front of the PC via mobo USB extensions.

Not ideal but PC looks alright with the janky wires emerging from around the case and being plugged into the front.

Will have to monitor the system I guess.

Associate
Not sure if this is relevant but I have been trying to figure out what b550 mb to get and the forums are mentioning problems with usb issues being cause by either fualty drivers or ethernet - check here and here -
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?...gbe-family-controller-resetting.345823/page-5
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121280-Rog-strix-b550-e-gaming/page5

btw doesnt seem to be just related to those 2 boards people are mentioning some other boards ... although I think I have only seen the asus talk about usb issues.

Associate
Had the same problem but on the corsair forum a fix was to set your PCIe lanes from Gen 4.0 or Auto to Gen 3 seems to be working for me.

Soldato
OP
I do use ethernet with my PC, rest of house is wireless. Think it's relevant?

At least new PSU is in now and after some initial in game coil whine seems quiet enough and silent at desktop.

Back
Top Bottom