USB or not USB, that is the question!??

Associate
Hi Guys,

Would it be possible for me to tap into your wealth on knowledge?

So the Mrs is kicking off about the automatic rifle fire coming from my computer most weekends, so to save her ears (and mine for that matter ;)) i decided to spend some funds on a nice set of cans.

Im pretty computer literate, built my own rig and a couple for friends... But this earphone lark is sending me under!

USB
Analog
Closed
open
etc
etc..... the list goes on. After plenty of skiving in work i have decided on these bad boys -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-025-ST&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=1718

only to realise they also make exactly the same ones in USB -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-035-SL&groupid=02&catid=1058&subcat=1718

My question to you lovely people is (basically) what is the differance? What do i gain / loose by USB??

My mobo has realtek 7.1 on board, although when these new AMD FM2 boards are relased i will be upgrading so dont really want to buy a seperate sound card, although those Asus DX's look pretty nice for 20 quid!

Cheers for reading, look forwward to your input!

Chris

Associate
OP
USB ones have their own soundcard in the connector. So it does not use any device in the system.

Ok, Ta. But what does that mean for sound?

If it was you which would you go for? USB or not?

Is a 5.1/7.1 headset even worth it? Should i be looking at just stereo sets?

Im quite liking the look of these -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-006-CS&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=1719

but i really dont know... Can you suggest me something?

Only things im really bothered about are -
Sub £100
Closed / Bi (lol)
Quite like the idea of the directional audio (5.1) but not essential
Mainly just a quality product with good sound worth its money...

HELP!!! :confused:

Associate
Ok, Ta. But what does that mean for sound?

If it was you which would you go for? USB or not?

Not USB. A conventional 6.35mm/2.5mm/3.5mm jack gives you much more flexibility, since you can plug your cans anywhere (mp3 player, mixer, AV receiver, external soundcard), not just a computer. Also, since USB headphones have their own integrated (usually crappy) amp, that's the best sound quality you're EVER going to get from them. With a conventional headphone jack you can plug them into a better amp in the future and get better sound from the same pair of 'phones.

Is a 5.1/7.1 headset even worth it? Should i be looking at just stereo sets?

I've never used a 5.1 headset, but most reviews say the effect feels a bit fake/gimmicky. You should really try them out beforehand and be the judge of that. If you're going to order them over the Internet without test driving them first, then you should stick to regular stereo just in case...

Last edited:
Soldato
I would not bother with 5.1, I did once, and there was little difference. They were heavy and unweildy. I now have some carcharias and love them. I have mine in a Xonar D2X and they are superb.

Back
Top Bottom