USB soundcards

Man of Honour
If it is a work laptop make sure IT haven't locked down USB devices, etc.

They should be selectable between headphone and speaker output but I can't guarantee all models.

If you are connecting a monitor check if it has audio capabilities - many have an OK DAC built in that can do audio via HDMI - some even do quite good audio.

Soldato
OP
ok, they have messed up a windows update, and its disabled the sound... i thought that USB and monitors devices as you said are separate audio devices.. so it might not bw wortth the quick fix im thinking, Ive tried a USB Jabra and Lenovo speakers on a monitor via USB C, and still nothing ,

most usb devices arent locked down, unless specific admin rights are needed for an installer package.

ie for printers, you can install with the inf files but not if it a setup.exe with bloatware.

I think i have a USB soundcard at home in a drawers somwhere i will give it a try.

Last edited:
Soldato
All separate sound playback devices show up as different output devices.
Hence you can have simultaneously many sound cards and select wanted output from sound settings of Windows.
That includes also monitors/HDMI audio outputs.

But if Microsoft pushed out yet another faulty alpha test level patch, it can kill all sound from all outputs.
Simply because to give out sound any playback device needs Windows audio stack to first send it that audio stream.

Man of Honour
Windows 10 and audio is a pain - not to mention the many times they screw up audio with an update far too many times I've had it post an update and/or after plugging in a new audio device randomly switch what I've got selected as the output - behaviour Windows 7 never does (at least for me - I have found instances of people complaining Windows 7 will change audio device after plugging in certain USB audio devices).

Really not cool when you wake people up at 2am when sound blares out speakers because Windows 10 - hence one reason my opinion of the developers of the OS is that they are a bunch of muppets.

Soldato
OP
All separate sound playback devices show up as different output devices.
Hence you can have simultaneously many sound cards and select wanted output from sound settings of Windows.
That includes also monitors/HDMI audio outputs.

But if Microsoft pushed out yet another faulty alpha test level patch, it can kill all sound from all outputs.
Simply because to give out sound any playback device needs Windows audio stack to first send it that audio stream.

I think this is correct (this is a corporate roll out for a multinational so someone hasnt done their homework) The Speaker icon in the task bar has a redcross in it, so you cant select another sound source/device. The Jabra Speakerphone should act as its own soundcard. and i think the Plantronics Headset should as well. As soon as you click the speaker icon it brings up an audio diagnostic screen which requires admin rights to run, didnt matter anyway as level 1 IT tried it and nothing happened, now with Level 2 IT and held under a Master Ticket, as there are so many complaints aleady. Not the best Windows update to roll out when everyone uses their laptop as the primary voice comms for skype.

Back
Top Bottom