USB speed slow on type C Gigabyte 990 FX Gaming mobo

Associate
I have a problem with the USB type C slot, it works but is slow transferring files at 28m/s using my type C Western Digital SSD passport drive, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 it transfers the same files at 150m/s, is USB 3.1 type C supposed to be faster than USB 3.0?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FX Gaming, AM3, transferring files from a Seagate 4TB SSHD to Western Digital SSD passport drive, write catching is disabled for quick released of the drive in both instances.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
What cable are you using? I randomly decided to try the type C port on my AX370 board as well but noticed it was only running at 2.0 speeds (which is what you're seeing) and Windows only reporting it being connected via USB 2.0. Turns out the type C cable I was using actually had some pins missing looking at it, so tried another one and was getting the max speed (although Windows still reports it as 3.0 and not 3.1). Previous cable was one that came with my Nexus 6P, second cable was an Aukey.

Soldato
As above, if the cable is cheap or only designed for charging then you may not get the full speeds.

Try with a decent cable and you should see improvements.

Associate
OP
I did buy the cable from Maplins and was quite expensive for a cable but got it cheap as they were closing down, never really thought about it being slower speed like USB cables, will get my son to test it on his Alienware it has type C port, the drive does have a type C cable with normal USB adaptor on the end, will try that in a bit, not sure about drivers I did install all the drivers and it shows asrmedia usb 3.1 host controller, does the type C have a specific driver for it?

Trying the other cable now and see what happens.

Associate
OP
Well that was a facepalm moment, I just assumed the type C extension cable would be ful speed I now know not! it's half the thickness of the WD drives cable and has a pin missing in the middle, Maplin charge £20 for that sucks or what!
I only paid £1.50 so not too bad but just annoying, I took the adaptor off the WD cable and plugged it into the mobo type C, now transfers files at 180 - 200m/s which is very good.

Just never thought it would be the cable but if it was a normal USB I would have suspected the cable straight away.......computers are worse than second hand car salesmen jeezzzzzzz

Thanks for the help I will get me coat now.......

Back
Top Bottom