Use two internet connections at the same time.

Associate
Hi,

I live in shared accommodation, there is a connection that everyone uses and I also have my own separate connection (my own line, router etc..)
What I would like to do is use my own connection to download loads of games and at the same time use the communal connection for general browsing/prime/youtube.

So is it easily doable, or is it more hassle than its worth?

Thanks.

Soldato
The best option is to use a router that allows bonding. But even then, setting certain traffic to certain connections will be a little more tricky. I know DrayTeks offers this with load balancing but I never tested this mode, we use failover mode at work instead for reliability reasons.

Soldato
Policy based routing is what you want. You need to pipe both internet connections into the WAN ports of a router that supports policy based routing and has two WAN ports. Then you tell the router to use the shared WAN for everything except the downloading of your games. You can set the rule by source or destination IPs or MAC address of your downloading box or something else dependent on your setup. Drayteks certainly can be had with dual WAN but I don't know their routing capabilities. pfSense would do it and I'm sure some of the open source custom router firmwares probably do too.

Back
Top Bottom