• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Users experience of Gigabyte Vega GPUs???

Soldato
So I came across a deal for a refurbished Gigabyte Vega 56 but then I came across this warning off this model:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8u60ze/buyer_beware_gigabyte_radeon_rx_vega56_gaming_oc/

I wondered if this was a bad idea and what users experiences of this model has been. IE is it fixable or will it just be a completely negative buggy experience.

I wouldn't touch Gigabyte AMD GPU, especially Vega as they have done pretty poor job with sub par coolers especially.
Saying that, if you were asking about the (Gigabyte) Aorus GTX1080Ti Xtreme, I would have said buy it without second thought, as I had that card and was amazing beast with supreme cooler.

Soldato
I must have been lucky my v56 it was a brilliant card, never had any problems with it. Reviews do give it a bad impression. Criticism seems to be over the heatsink design, however in my opinion it's actually more than capable, certainly than the broken batch of asus strix.
Temps were good at 60-70c max after a long gaming session. Easily undervolted to 1.05v for 1600/900. Hbm overclock was a little poo though.

IMG-20190116-195657.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's always best to go for a brand that only makes AMD cards as they obviously put all their R&D budget into developing coolers for AMD gpu's, In the past big companies that sell both AMD & Nvidia gpu's like Asus, Gigabyte & MSI have been known to save money on AMD R&D by cutting corners & using heatsinks that were originally designed for their Nvidia gpu's, I'm not saying their gpu's are all bad, just that you are taking a risk, I've been caught out like this twice, once with MSI (290x) & more recently with a Gigabyte (RX 560).

I must have been lucky my v56 it was a brilliant card, never had any problems with it. Reviews do give it a bad impression. Criticism seems to be over the heatsink design, however in my opinion it's actually more than capable, certainly than the broken batch of asus strix.
Temps were good at 60-70c max after a long gaming session. Easily undervolted to 1.05v for 1600/900. Hbm overclock was a little poo though.

IMG-20190116-195657.jpg

Is this your's pulled apart? Why did you do that? Presumably you did a paste change, pads too? Did it make a difference?

Soldato
I wouldn't touch Gigabyte AMD GPU, especially Vega as they have done pretty poor job with sub par coolers especially.
Saying that, if you were asking about the (Gigabyte) Aorus GTX1080Ti Xtreme, I would have said buy it without second thought, as I had that card and was amazing beast with supreme cooler.

dual 100mm fans and 2.5" slot . the use 12+1 VRM set up to sappahire and others 6/7+1 set up so cooling doesn't have to be as extreme! is a little hotter as they didn't do 2 slot triple fan version or Aorus/Xtreme 3x 100mm version , but it kept costs down for better VRMs . on average its about 5-9c hotter then other cards with VRMs being cooler or able to handle more volts...

ANY GPU recommend removing paste and applying at least thermal grizzly 12 wm/k paste! stock is like 4-5 mw/k

pads are just as bad with all vendors

might have to ask OCUK/ @GIGA-Man about warranty issues as after 90 days bit of a grey area ....

Last edited:
Soldato
Is is your's pulled apart? Why did you do that? Presumably you did a paste change, pads too? Did it make a difference?

Hey mate, yeah was my v56 that I pulled apart before selling. It was fully functional with no problems, I replaced the die Tim with some Grizzly, purely to give the card a freshen up, (dedust and clean) before selling on. I didn't replace the pads, but the pad piece that is missing was on the inductor anyway.

Here's a short clip of it after I did it.
I'd say maybe there was a 5c difference after applying it.
IMG-20190116-195748.jpg

https://youtu.be/JMl1eJuH_o4

Permabanned
Hey mate, yeah was my v56 that I pulled apart before selling. It was fully functional with no problems, I replaced the die Tim with some Grizzly, purely to give the card a freshen up, (dedust and clean) before selling on. I didn't replace the pads, but the pad piece that is missing was on the inductor anyway.

Here's a short clip of it after I did it.
I'd say maybe there was a 5c difference after applying it.
IMG-20190116-195748.jpg

https://youtu.be/JMl1eJuH_o4

That's a decent temp drop.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I think I'll hold off and wait for Navi. I likely wouldn't do the Vega 56 justice right now anyway as I play allot of older titles. The undervolt and increase power trick looked allot of extra value can be hammered out of the card. But no point investing a load of cash in something that could cause a massive headache

Back
Top Bottom