Using a 4G dongle with PC/router, considered tethering?

Associate
I was looking at doing away with the landline at the office, using 4G instead, for calls and internet on PC.

Virgin appear to offer the best contracts, on the favoured EE network. 40gb unlimited calls/texts, £22 p/month. I was thinking of connecting the mobile to PC via USB cable. Apparently, this is regarded as ‘tethering’, which isn’t allowed by Virgin. EE do allow it, but their prices are so much more expensive.

Now I’ve discovered dongles, like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unl...pID=21byMlNucWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Now if I use Virgin’s 4G SIM with that dongle, on the PC or router, would that be considered tethering? This is a question Virgin could answer, but I can’t find immediately where to ask it, on their website.

I’ll then get a cheap 4G mobile, £50-£100.

Soldato
Unless tethering is allowed you need to be using the SIM in a phone and be consuming the data on that phone.

It's possible you might get away with it, but they will be able to tell what you're doing.

Soldato
There is more chance of you using the data allowance if you tether which is why they charge more. It’s quite unfair really; what’s the point of paying for an allowance. I don’t think there’s a way to trick the provider into thinking you’re using a phone instead of tethering and they do catch you out.

Also to echo what’s been said, I use my 50Gb allowance working from home two days a week without breaking a sweat. You always need more data than you think.

Back
Top Bottom