Using a punch bag

Associate
Do combo's and learn how to punch.

You can do a circuit, e.g. 10 punches, 10 press ups, 20 punches, 20 press ups, 10 punches, 10 press ups etc.

USe your imagination :p

Associate
Yeah, gets your fitness up a bit.

Of course you can include more exercises between the hitting: sit ups, shuttle runs, shuttle runs with medicine ball above head, skipping for a set amount of time, tricep dips, close hand press ups, wide hand press ups, bodyweight squats, lunges, jumping jacks....loads of stuff

Man of Honour
I usually do 3x3 minute rounds on the bag at the end of a workout. This can be varied of course. A professional boxer will fight 3 minute rounds and an amateur will be fighting 2 minute rounds.

I do various routines such as jabbing, uppercuts, hooks and combinations and vary the pace and power during that time. It is a very good workout and will usually have you out of breath by the end of it.

Use your imagination .. :)

Soldato
I usually do

Jab, Cross x 5
Body Shots (left hook, right hook) x 5
Quickly, repeated til I fall over (usually 3 x 3 minute rounds).

And I just so happened to get a Punch Bag for christmas :D

Soldato
At the gym (pre-falling ill) we had a board numbered 1-10 which compromised of combinations such as:

1 - Jab, cross, jab

2 - Jab, opposite hook, uppercut

3 - Jab, jab, hook

4 - Jab, cross, jab, cross

5 - Jab, left hook, jab, let uppercut, right hook

And so on . . .

This compromised of 10 bags at 3 Minutes each. After a 3 minute bag, the timer would beep for for the last 10 seconds, which was what we call the 'Knockout' in these 10 seconds you give it your all, which gives you the advantage near a knockout, hence the name. After a 3 minute round the timer gives a minute break, during that break we did either: Press-ups, Sit-ups, Burpees, Squats, Skipping and so on . . .

Soldato
I did amateur boxing from 1996-2002 pretty regular and just got back into it this year after trying the university Tae Kwon Do club that didn't teach me anything-it was a rubbish club!

Anyway, when you can punch correctly good workouts can be had by mixing it up a bit, using footwork to move around the back and going for both body and head shots.

At my gym we often do 30 second bursts within the round, where you will go hell for leather as though you are going toe to toe with somebody and its put them down or be killed.

You could be quite used to running, a reasonable standard of fitness but boxing will work muscles you never knew you had. Just like when I played Rugby for nearly two seasons 2001-2002 it was destroying me for quite a while, and I wasn't unfit.

Associate
dark_shadow said:
At the gym (pre-falling ill) we had a board numbered 1-10 which compromised of combinations such as:

1 - Jab, cross, jab

2 - Jab, opposite hook, uppercut

3 - Jab, jab, hook

4 - Jab, cross, jab, cross

5 - Jab, left hook, jab, let uppercut, right hook

And so on . . .

This compromised of 10 bags at 3 Minutes each. After a 3 minute bag, the timer would beep for for the last 10 seconds, which was what we call the 'Knockout' in these 10 seconds you give it your all, which gives you the advantage near a knockout, hence the name. After a 3 minute round the timer gives a minute break, during that break we did either: Press-ups, Sit-ups, Burpees, Squats, Skipping and so on . . .

does anyone know of where I can get a timer I can set up to beep at intervals to do something like this at home - I need the structure to keep me focused!

Back
Top Bottom